General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
cosmokenney
    Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:07 pm

Hi,
I need to make a soldering iron tip that is shaped like a chisel. I.e. like a normal wood chisel. Maybe 1"-1.5" wide yet thinner than a wood chisel, but still beveled on one side.

I'll be using it to square-off the knobbies on my dirt bike tires after they have worn and rounded off.

My question is what type of material would be best? I've seen some 6AWG copper wire used to make pointed tips. If I went that route, and was lucky enough to find a copper plate to make the chisel part, what should I use to join the chisel to the wire?

I have a PowerTig 210EXT and some silicon bronze. Or do I need something specialized for copper? Or should I try a different material for the parts?
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

Something like this might work right out of the box, it's just over an inch wide. If you want to make it yourself, #6 wire doesn't quite fit in a soldering tip, you'll have to turn it down a bit, and try to get it straight. I'd try cutting the copper plate so it has a tang sticking out of it and fashion that so it will slide into the end of the soldering iron.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/en/P ... lv-15.aspx

15% silver brazing rod, available at any heating and cooling supply house. Not cheap but for copper and brass. Can be run with tig or oxygen acetylene. Requires no flux.

Edit
Ask your favorite AC repair man and he might just give you a stick, that should be more than enough for what you need.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

don't know what iron you have but the commercial ones operate at
about 500 degrees. KnobbyKnife is one brand that works.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
cosmokenney
    Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:07 pm

MarkL wrote:Something like this might work right out of the box, it's just over an inch wide. If you want to make it yourself, #6 wire doesn't quite fit in a soldering tip, you'll have to turn it down a bit, and try to get it straight. I'd try cutting the copper plate so it has a tang sticking out of it and fashion that so it will slide into the end of the soldering iron.
Yes! I like the tang idea. That would definitely make the whole process simple.

And to the other posters, yea, I'm kinda broke, that's why I'm trying to extend the life of my knobbies. So buying something if I can make it is not an option. Thanks for the suggestions, however, I know you are just trying to help. I appreciate it.