General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

You would think after all the Youtube videos I have been watching I could really lay out some beads on a piece of flat (padding I believe is the term) like a pro, NOT. Seriously I am a tig welder and seldom stick. That has to change. Spent several hours burning rods today. Started with 6011 3/32 rods beads looked like crap. So grabbed same size 6013 and dam now I looked like a semi pro. Played for a while with rod angles, again on flat nothing fancy. Not shabby, but still bead varied a bit in width. Went to my 7018 and as usual a bit of a bugger to start and restart but again very good looking bead, slag popped up. I tried from 70 to 80 to 85 and 90 amps. Keyholed the 1/8 inch plate with 85 and 90.

I really need practice. I used the drag method about 20 degree angle and made sure arc length was short.

I want to try a bevel root 1G style one day and see how that goes. I cannot expect to be any better without hours of burning rods.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Its much easier to burn 70xx than 60xx rods. If you're new to it, or "renewing" yourself to it, put down the 60s and focus on 70s. At 3/32 7018, I run them closer to 90 amps for good hot burn depending upon the material thickness. I don't keyhole the material, but I do keep a tight enough arc I can feel the base "gouge". At 1/8" material, you'll need to lower your amps for successive padding once the material heats up.
MoonshinerPhD
    Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:12 am

Stay with it Bruce, you'll be laying some nice beads before too long. It's been years since I've stick welded, where I worked (before retiring) they got a Millermatic and it really spoiled me. So I'll be getting back into stick as soon as I get an outlet ran for my Lincoln Idealarc. Looking forward to it too!

Good luck!