General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

Got a 25 dollar Amazon gift certificate for X-mas, so I bought 2ea. 6" C clamp Vise Grips. These small ones come in handy as a pocket on a shirt. Received them and I was surprised at the sloppy construction. Apparently, Irvin had bought Vise Grip. All of my other Vise Grips are the originals and where U.S. made. These are NOT the same quality. I have always steered clear of of the forgeries because their poor quality. After buying these I will look in to Harbor Freight's I'll bet there's not much difference.

Sorry should have put this in the review section.
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

There has been a drop in quality here in the US as well. They bend real easy and the teeth round off after just a few uses.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

They are hit and miss. The big c clamp ones without pads are great for holding stuff for grinding but they bend too easily the 7 and 10 in normal classic vise grips still work phenomenal for me. Use them on every project and for every repair job in the farm. They are used as door handles and other replacement parts that are permanent.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

All my vice grips are Irwin brand. Good quality.......not a problem.
mechanic416
    Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:16 pm

I have all kinds of vice grips. The originals I try and keep clean and away from were I am welding. Irwin bought out Vice-Grip and they are not as good but work OK. I have found almost all the cheaper vice grips/clamping pliers the upper jaw is only pined/riveted and will move when you put pressure on them, so out comes the tig and 309 rod.
aland
    Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:10 pm

mechanic416 wrote:I have all kinds of vice grips. The originals I try and keep clean and away from were I am welding. Irwin bought out Vice-Grip and they are not as good but work OK. I have found almost all the cheaper vice grips/clamping pliers the upper jaw is only pined/riveted and will move when you put pressure on them, so out comes the tig and 309 rod.
Just curious,

If you do that, isn't there plating on them which is toxic when welded? Do you clean them before welding?

I've always been cautious of plating as there have been many cases where blacksmiths have gotten sick and even died from plated metal. Those fumes are toxic...

Alan
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Chrome or zinc coatings can be dealt with in many ways. Proper ventilation is always a key. Some people are more susceptible to the affects than others, but the heavy metals can build up over time with accumulated levels.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
aland
    Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:10 pm

Poland308 wrote:Chrome or zinc coatings can be dealt with in many ways. Proper ventilation is always a key. Some people are more susceptible to the affects than others, but the heavy metals can build up over time with accumulated levels.
Indeed it's workable with precautions. I typically will soak stuff in citric acid or even just vinegar or lemon juice will work as well. Downside is that it strips the plating off and leaves the metal bare. This does work for any zinc plated or galvanized plated nuts and bolts I've worked with in the forge.

Just in case someone is reading this that may not be aware, it's good to know you shouldn't run out to your shop and start welding on plated metal without taking some precaution.

Alan