General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

At work we have a welding table that all the mill scale over the years has all been removed. The reflection does not allow the sensitivity to be turned up in an auto dark helmet. Other than turning down the sensitivity is there anything than can be done to cut down on the reflection?
mechanic416
    Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:16 pm

Yes, if you really want to you can buy some Casey Birchwood liquid gun blue and blue it dark.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I find it hard to believe that the table top (carbon steel)is reflective enough to effect your helmet’s sensors? Unless you’re using a low end 2 sensor helmet? I have an aluminum table and a steel table for welding and neither cause me issues, even when welding stainless sheet in bright finish :?
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

Ospho. Just wipe it on lightly.I gallon is about 60 overpriced bottles of cold blue for 1/20 the cost
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

I got a digital elite so I could use it in X-mode and not have all the problems setting the sensitivity when I'm welding outside or being affected by other people's arcs. I assume you have bright overhead lights that are reflecting off the table. The gun blue sounds like a good idea.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

Be careful with " cold blue" It may contain some surprises( and is a complete ripoff). Ospho or a pure phosphoric from a chemical outfit or building supply.