General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

Can bronze be welded? If so.....what do you use?

My first choice would be to braze it, if this is for a customer then the process should be called out on the drawing, but perhaps your asking a general question, do you have a specific situation in mind?

Maybe welded art?
Richard
Website
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Bronze can be tig welded with silicon bronze filler. Just make sure it is bronze and not brass.

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

I am utterly inexperienced on the subject, but thinking out loud, yes it can. It will require a lot of power. Big pieces will dissipate heat throughout the piece faster than aluminum does. You must heat very fast, then get off. The process is DC, so arc will be more effective than aluminum. I've wanted to experiment with a copper countertop, not that that is exactly equivalent to brass, but copper will lend its heat dissipating qualities to bronze.

I've read that too much oxygen in the metal ruins the process.
aland
    Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:10 pm

Coldman wrote:Just make sure it is bronze and not brass.
Indeed, brass has zinc in it and those fumes are not good.

One of the main differences between bronze and brass is that bronze has tin in it where brass has zinc in it.

Many of the old ships recovered which had bronze pieces onboard, the pieces are left intact. Anything made out of brass is left like a copper sponge after the zinc is leached out. Some type of reaction with the salt. I've long believed that bronze will be much more durable in a coastal environment where there's a lot of salt in the air.

That same zinc within the brass produces harmful fumes. Just be observant and vent if you need to weld/braze brass, it can be done, just like zinc nuts and bolts can be welded. Safest to remove the zinc, but with care it can be done. ;)

Alan
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/en/S ... e%20filler

I would recommend an email or phone call to Harris. They should be able to help you find the right filler for your application.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
aland
    Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:10 pm

Poland308 wrote:http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/en/S ... e%20filler

I would recommend an email or phone call to Harris. They should be able to help you find the right filler for your application.
Josh,

Is Harris filler considered to be the industry standard? I see Harris listed online, but my LWS has Washington Alloy which I got from them and have seen these tubes before so other shops I've been in had the same. My LWS might have Harris in the back where they seem to keep most of it...that I don't know. They do have Harris product and are a Harris dealer....I'll have to ask them about that.

If there was a gold standard in filler, who would that be? Would it be Harris?

For me I don't use that many consumables and like to use the best quality I can get as the different over the long haul will not make too much difference in my pocketbook. This seems to hold true for building materials also, I like the best materials I can get, whenever affordable/possible.

EDIT: I just kept getting a sql error for max connections, I was worried...between WeldingWeb having issues and if WTAT has problems, it would be like an attack on the welding community! :cry:

Alan
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Harris has an excellent reputation for good reason. As far as gold standard, well in reality in order to be able to call any filler wire by a name,IE SS 316. It has to meet established standards. So all manufacturers should be almost the same. Harris filler and brazing rod( from my personal experience only ) is very consistent. I’ve also seen them provide uncommon and sometimes unlisted fillers for unique base metals. I once saw some filler wire for fixing saw blades at a lumber mill. It was provided from the blade manufacturer but was made by Harris only for them. It came in a Harris box but is only sold through the blade manufacturer.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Warrenh
    Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:31 pm

Check my post on the bronze turtle project. Silicon bronze filler and AC Tig 80% EN. I dont know amps because I keep the machine on max amps.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk