General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
aland
    Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:10 pm

Since the Nova pedals came out there has been a lot of talk about the Japanese potentiometer they have in them. Not a lot of info on them though, at least that i have seen. Well, that only means it must be taken apart and inspect, I can think of no other alternative...the good news is that no pedals were killed during this inspection! :lol:

This information could come in useful if someone wanted to upgrade a Chinesium pedal with a new potentiometer possibly, I don't know. The potentiometers are available on ebay and/or Cosmos direct I 'spose.
nova-tocos-potentioneter.jpg
Here's a link to the company website, much of the documents in Japanese, as would be expected.

http://www.tocos-j.co.jp/e/index.html

To me it looks like RVQ24YN03 that is the potentometer in my 22k ohm pedal. These are rumored to have a 2,000,000 operation life cycle.

Maybe this will be of help to someone in the future. The potentiometers seem to sell for about $15 on ebay, maybe cheaper if you shop around.

NOTE: to open the pedal is dead simple, there are spring pins on the side. Since I don't have a manual or parts diagram I had to figure that piece out...but just push the spring pins in and top comes right off. And of course as would be expected, reverse process to re-install! ;)

Alan
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

Did this pedal come with your Everlast, as an up-grade?
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
aland

tungstendipper wrote:Did this pedal come with your Everlast, as an up-grade?
td,

My understanding is that the Nova line will be Everlast's premium line of products. I've heard they have other torches, consumables and accessories that will be offered within this premium line of products.

Nova pedals are sold by Everlast, I bought mine from them.

It is an upgraded pedal, the one that ships with most of their units looks similar but doesn't have the Japanese potentiometer. It is not clear to me if those pedals are SSC or just clones that look the same, but the Nova pedal is Everlast's premium pedal, AFAIK.

Alan

The upgraded pedal is the one that I have.
Everlast 210 EXT

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
aland

tungstendipper wrote:The upgraded pedal is the one that I have.
td,

Yes, you should have the Nova pedal then. Maybe there's hope for me to be a tungsten dipper too, I have one of those same pedals like you! 8-) (and hey, I can rhyme!)

You can open it up easy enough, push those side spring pins in and pop the cover off.

I've been going in circles with Everlast trying to understand how to set the point gap on my inverter. Not clear if it can even be set as my points look different than the manual.

The components look ok, but the inside of mine has silicon and other sealer spooged all over everything...in several cases dripping on other components...I wouldn't call it the type of craftsmanship I would condone, but it is probably acceptable for an inexpensive inverter. It works, so not complaining...I got what I paid for and I won't try to make myself believe I got anything close to a Miller Dynasty.

Alan

Point gap? I never worried about it. Just took my new welder out of the box and been welding ever since.
I did get to spend about an hour welding with a Dynasty, couldn't tell any difference with my Everlast. Though, I still want one. A fine machine!
Everlast 210 EXT

CJ737
aland

tungstendipper wrote:Point gap? I never worried about it. Just took my new welder out of the box and been welding ever since.
Yeah, mine is working and no worries, but the quality of the assembly has me scratching my head wondering if the more expensive welders have the same type of careless, sloppy assembly that I see in mine.

Honestly, Everlast hasn't been too nice for me to deal with, and I bought it from their office in South San Fransisco.
tungstendipper wrote:I did get to spend about an hour welding with a Dynasty, couldn't tell any difference with my Everlast. Though, I still want one. A fine machine!
Really? I've used a friend's Miller Dynasty and I would say it's a quality built machine. I would question what exactly Everlast does except import Chinese welders? I'm believing these are Chinese welders that they have designed and built in China, so there is no real engineering on their part, as far as I can tell.

I got exactly what I bought, a cheaply built inexpensive Chinese inverter, and Everlast is providing that type of support I should expect on that type of machine. Miller uses all quality components and builds a machine that will last. I'm not convinced that Everlast is anywhere near the same level in regard to components, fit and finish, or making me feel my welder will last any amount of time.

You can count me off the Everlast cheerleaders club I 'spose...I will use this to learn how to weld and keep my eyes open for a used Dynasty most likely. I can't afford it at the moment, so the cheap inverter works out for me. :roll:

Alan