General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

If yyou have a way to cut it 'properly" ? Buy it and put the word out that you have some with the heavy equipment crowd.Nobody wants a whole sheet but will pay a premium for a piece cut to size, and perhaps drilled, for a dozer/backhoe/track machine repair.You can turn that couple hundred into a couple thousand .......IF you have a way to deal with stout plate.
ljdm1956
    Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:29 pm

Antorcha wrote:If yyou have a way to cut it 'properly" ? Buy it and put the word out that you have some with the heavy equipment crowd.Nobody wants a whole sheet but will pay a premium for a piece cut to size, and perhaps drilled, for a dozer/backhoe/track machine repair.You can turn that couple hundred into a couple thousand .......IF you have a way to deal with stout plate.
I could have cut it with my plasma, drilling, no go. But...........key word in your reply was "IF". IF I hadn't procrastinated on it, I wouldn't have missed out on the deal. Plate gone. Next time, just pull the trigger, ask questions later.
Lincoln Weld-Pak 180
Lincoln spool gun
Everlast PowerUltra 205p
AHP AlphaTig 200X
Assorted stuff
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

Steel is expensive, and more liquid than gold. I mean a pound of gold won't find an immediate buyer, a pound of any weldable raw metal will sell. I watch Craigslist for nearby steel, aluminum, or stainless. When it comes up, either the price is higher than retail, or it goes immediately.
aland
    Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:10 pm

ljdm1956 wrote:I thought about that type option, but where I want to put another table, more rectangle shaped (30" x 60") rather that 3' x 4' is better suited. Plus, having a 20" x 84" and a 30" x 24" x 3/4" cutoff around could come in handy.
Something to think about is a smaller table with some type of extension/support for longer work, or 2 smaller tables and store the 2nd one against the wall to take up less space. The smaller 2x3 ProTable is 80 lbs. Not light, but could be a flip up work table on a mobile base. But also a smaller 2x3 table by itself might be more practical on your space, with some type of support extensions built to insert into the mobile/fixed/stand. Just a thought. I thought about a welding cart with a flip-up 2x3 ProTable, or even to be stored on the stand and assemble for use. Weighs 80 lbs, not too bad.

If most of your work would require the full space, then your original plan might not be too bad.

EDIT: calculating the weight of that 50" x 84" x .750" plate, I get ~890 lbs. That would cost me $490 + tax at the scrap yard at $0.55/lb.

Alan