General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Moffpro
    Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:08 pm

So im planning on moving from Michigan to North Carolina in August when my lease is up, and i'm having trouble figuring out how i would secure a welding job that far out of state. I know most places will do skype inteviews but what would i do if i need to take a weld test or if they don't do skype interviews at all? Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Most states probably have info for the unemployment office. Lots of then know what companies might be looking. Or just register with one of the recruiters web sites.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

You might also be able to arrange a welding test locally that will be honored by your prospective employer if they are testing to a code. And, you could, arrange a few interviews in the same week, travel, test, secure a job with a deferred start date.
Graveyard
    Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:31 am

I have moved across the country twice and from my experience most places will do phone interviews initially and if they like you, you will have to meet in person for a second meaning you'll have to fly there or drive. In my case I drove in for my interviews. Its a lot to invest in only a potential job offer but that's how it worked with the last job and current job I have. 12 hours one way is no fun but it worked our for me in the end on both occasions. Best jobs I've ever had. So my advice is to apply to places you would like to work and make sure you send in a cover letter with a resume explaining your goals of moving and why if you are comfortable with that. When they call you for the interview make sure and schedule it for a time when you can be alone in a quit place with no distractions so you can concentrate. If you are awarded a second interview where you must meet in person dress accordingly, not too much and not to little. Obviously for a welding position you may be asked to perform a weld test so take that into consideration for your attire for the interview as well as steel toed shoes/boots and welding helmet/gloves. Give yourself plenty of time to get there, I would recommend trying to be there the night before and get a hotel so you are not rushed. Answer their questions as best as you can and if you don't know the answer don't be afraid to say it. Do not embellish or lie. A lot of hiring managers who've been around can see right through a lie or someone who has less experience than their resume says. At my last employer I was in charge of 28 direct reports over 3 department and was in charge of hiring for all of them. This is just the tip of the iceberg on the advice I can give but it should give you a good idea on what to expect. good luck!!