General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

Where do you guys recommend I get a leather extension for my Miller helmet, I have a very nice auto darkening helmet and really rather not drill it up a lot but a bit concerned during aluminum welding I may get a neck burn.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I know many use leather extensions, but something I have opted for is this:
https://www.pelagicgear.com/shop/headwe ... ields-all/

These cover your full neck, ears (if you are doing out of position aluminum, and never flap around. When it’s hot, I dip it in water and it even adds a bit of cooling to your day.
OzFlo
    Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:16 pm

I have been wondering this too and after looking around at various options I am going to buy a cheap leather welders apron and sacrifice it to make the pieces I need.

The other option to drilling would be to attach some velcro or other hook and loop type product to the inside of your helmet with either some strong double sided adhesive tape or some glue..

Flo
HT2-4956
    Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:00 am

OzFlo wrote:I have been wondering this too and after looking around at various options I am going to buy a cheap leather welders apron and sacrifice it to make the pieces I need.

The other option to drilling would be to attach some velcro or other hook and loop type product to the inside of your helmet with either some strong double sided adhesive tape or some glue..

Flo
Oz,

Tillman makes a leather bib for adding to a hood (part #566). I don't like the metal attachment clips they come with so I pop rivet mine on. Never tried attaching them with Velcro but don't think it would hold up in the long run. In general you want it on there securely so it stays in place and you don't end up fighting with it.
welding hoods 3 002.JPG
welding hoods 3 002.JPG (35.96 KiB) Viewed 687 times
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Velcro did not hold up very long with mine once I really started using it every day. Part of that I'm sure was drastic temperature changes from a lot of cold outside to all of a sudden welding in the warm shop.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

Thanks will look at Tillman I use occasionally so velcro may be worth a try may want to remove at times will see thanks again.
Found my supplier near me has them so I guess I am stopping in there tomorrow.
OzFlo
    Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:16 pm

HT2-4956 wrote: Oz,

Tillman makes a leather bib for adding to a hood (part #566). I don't like the metal attachment clips they come with so I pop rivet mine on. Never tried attaching them with Velcro but don't think it would hold up in the long run. In general you want it on there securely so it stays in place and you don't end up fighting with it.
Thanks for the info. I'll have a look.

On another note (and sorry for hijacking your thread Bruce) what do you guys do about reducing light entering from the back of your helmet?

Flo
snoeproe
    Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:37 am

I just cut the cuff off an old welding glove. Some pop rivets (or duct tape if your in a jam) and there's the neck protection.