General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

In two weeks I'm going under the knife to repair my dominate hand, for trigger finger. Dupuytren's contracture occurs when tissues in your hand thicken. The thickened tissue may form cords that extend from your palm to your finger. The cord may shorten, and your palm or finger may become stuck in a bent position. It effects people who work with their hands a lot.
Has anyone had this surgery? How long is the recovery time? Can you now put your hand, palm down, totally flat on a table?
Any info would help.
Mark
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

Sorry to hear you need surgery. I also have Dupuytren's contracture in two of my fingers but it is mild enough that at my age the doctor said I will likely never need surgery. It is hereditary so you can thank one of your ancestors. My grandma had it really bad, so I guess I got it from her. Best of luck
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch

I've read that too. It is also associated with diabetes; though, I don't have that. The surgeon and hospital is going make 23K for a hours work. Wish I could make 1/10 of that!
I won't be welding for at least a month, while I heal. Not looking forward to that.
Thanks for your reply
Mark
Everlast 210 EXT

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

It’s a perfect time to learn to weld with your non-dominant hand. Especially if you can setup a Stick configuration. Weld left handed, with a mirror, out of position. You’ll be astonished at how quickly you can learn. Then do some TIG left handed. You’ll be much farther ahead despite the layoff. 8-)
Josh MacD
    Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:57 am

I am a Certified Hand Therapist (and a novice welder) in Phoenix, AZ.

Dupuytren's is not typically a long recovery. Depending on your doctor's preference you will likely be in a splint to hold your hand flat for a few weeks, then wearing that same splint only at night for more weeks. As the wound heals you will be able to do more with the hand. Keep the wound clean and dry until it is fully closed but you will likely be able to shower without 'bagging' it. Just let the soapy water wash over it and no soaking it.

There are some other treatments for only minimally severe D.S., they involve some injections and manipulation 24 hours later to break up the adhesions. Both are effective if done correctly. You may very well have future cord contractures. Just manage them each as they come.

Best of luck.
Hobbyist MIG welder with 75/25 gas on a Lincoln SP-140 in my garage/workshop/gym/storage space. Very new and still learning.

"Service is the rent you pay for room on this earth" - Shirley Chisholm
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:21 pm

tungstendipper wrote:In two weeks I'm going under the knife to repair my dominate hand, for trigger finger. Dupuytren's contracture occurs when tissues in your hand thicken. The thickened tissue may form cords that extend from your palm to your finger. The cord may shorten, and your palm or finger may become stuck in a bent position. It effects people who work with their hands a lot.
Has anyone had this surgery? How long is the recovery time? Can you now put your hand, palm down, totally flat on a table?
Any info would help.
Mark
HI, I have had this surgery before, twice, one on my left thumb and one on my right middle finger, at different times.
MY recovery time was about 4/6 weeks for a complete recovery, I was able to start using my hand, limited, in about 10 days but full recovery about 4/6 weeks. A Lot of numbing will occur as the surgeon has to work right along the nerve, but as long as he/she doesn't make any mistakes the numbing will subside within the 4/6 week period. And yes, after full recovery everything goes back to normal, putting palm down flat etc.. Just remember give yourself time to recover and heal and PT, yea 4/6 weeks , give take, is a long time but if you rush it and don't allow proper healing you might mess something up forever!
Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Do it Right Today!

6 days after surgery, I think I could weld today. Had NO pain. All fingers and etc work.
Looks worse than it is.
Attachments
hand.jpg
hand.jpg (122.29 KiB) Viewed 1586 times
Everlast 210 EXT

CJ737

tungstendipper wrote: Looks worse than it is.
You're right about that, good to hear you're doing better
Richard
Website

Thanks Richard.
Everlast 210 EXT

CJ737
theaceofgates
    Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:07 am

ouch. My wife has had it twice, 2 surgeries to correct. It seems to be happening on another finger currently.
TheAceofGates.com
FB_TheAceofGates
...professional tip clogging, rod sticking tungsten dipper.
Boostr
    Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:53 pm

:shock:
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

Damn! Sounds like your surgery went as planned which is good, my index finger gets kind of stuck in a bent position every once in awhile, now ya got me wondering if I have that? :| Hope you get better soon..
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225

pgk wrote:Damn! Sounds like your surgery went as planned which is good, my index finger gets kind of stuck in a bent position every once in awhile, now ya got me wondering if I have that? :| Hope you get better soon..
Doesn't sound like it. You would have raised tendons in your palm towards the affected finger.
STILL having problems with swelling and healing. Still can't weld. :x

Thanks for think of me,
Mark
Everlast 210 EXT

CJ737
theaceofgates
    Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:07 am

my wife has had operations to cut the sheath on 2 fingers in the past 4 years and now it is happening again on a third finger. It sucks getting old.
TheAceofGates.com
FB_TheAceofGates
...professional tip clogging, rod sticking tungsten dipper.
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

tungstendipper wrote:
pgk wrote:Damn! Sounds like your surgery went as planned which is good, my index finger gets kind of stuck in a bent position every once in awhile, now ya got me wondering if I have that? :| Hope you get better soon..
Doesn't sound like it. You would have raised tendons in your palm towards the affected finger.
STILL having problems with swelling and healing. Still can't weld. :x

Thanks for think of me,
Mark
Hey no problem Mark,
At least is a few weeks you will be back in the game, three years out of the blue I started getting a headache every day. In two weeks time it went from one a day to 30 to 35 headaches a day then the dizzy spells along with the headaches. Ended up one day getting a headache then falling down, woke up in a ambulance and ended up in the ICU united at the local hospital. They did the MRI and Ct Scan, they found a tumor under my right ventricle. Doc came in and told me that I would have to have brain surgery, I have had never been sick a day in my life then to hear this! Man, I was devastated to say the least. Aside from my hands not being as steady has they were prior to the surgery I'm back in Biness! Still trying to get my mojo back on the Tig welding thing, but I'm not giving up.. LOL Luckily for me welding is not my job, I just enjoy making things, kind of like stress relief for me. :D
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

Quick healing to 'ya TD!

Cheers,
Alan
Collector of old Iron!

Alan

Thanks Alan.

Pete,
Don't give up!! Keep welding, keep that mind working. Enjoy life.
Everlast 210 EXT

CJ737