General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

What are the alternatives to a wire wheel on a bench grinder? I have seen some form of Scotchbrite and flapwheels. I am looking for something that will last and won't break the bank.
Franz©
    Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:02 pm

Media blasting. Steel shot works really well, but it too is expensive.
Skotchbrite is nice, when somebody else is paying for it. Flaps are rotating frustration.
Sisal brushes with buffing compound wirk well, BUT they also impart lots of heat.

BEST method- make it somebody else's job.
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

A little more specificity is in order. I am looking for alternatives to a wire wheel on a bench grinder.....but something that still goes on a bench grinder.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I have a flap wheel and one of the scotch brites for going on a beach grinder. The flap wheel is good for rust or mill flake. But loads up too fast if you use it to get off paint. The black coarse scotch brite works good on paint and it’s ok for light mill flake. The red scotch brite is good only for deburring edges or buffing out rough spots.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

rahtreelimbs wrote:A little more specificity is in order. I am looking for alternatives to a wire wheel on a bench grinder.....but something that still goes on a bench grinder.
Typically, you'd have a grinding wheel on a bench grinder, and perhaps a wire disc. Angle grinders are most often equipped with a variety of disc types as they're easily changed. Flap disks, cut-off wheels, and specialty discs.

For mill scale, I use a waffle pad from Walter. I use their Enduro Flex flap disks as Ive found them to be the most durable and effective. I use some of their higher grit (120) and blue discs for stainless and ally.

The challenge of having one set of discs switch between your bench and angle grinder is the diameter and arbor size. Plus the time needed to swap it all about. I'd set up your bench with a diamond wheel and an aluminum oxide wheel for grinding edges or tapering. Leave the angle grinder for versatility and cutting.
Downwindtracker2
    Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:36 pm

You're looking for a deburring wheel, and yes, they are expensive. For the names and grits, check one of the old tool forums. The other thing you are looking for is a CBN wheel. It's even more expensive.

I don't have either, because they are expensive.
Man of foolish pursuits
Millermatic 250x MIG
Magnum (Hugong) Wave 200KD ac/dc TIG
Liquid Air O/A torch
    Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:51 pm

Best option is to buy a decent DeWalt grinder and add the Multitool Belt Adapter (sold by Trick Tools). Get the 2x48 adapter.
arenjenkins
    Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:08 am

Why are you looking to switch from wire wheel?