General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

So cruisin around on the old Inter-web, I found a -real- cool piece of software-Digital Pipefitter. Basically this thing lets you print out templates with your printer, slap it on the pipe for say, a wye. Mark on the dotted lines, cut and shazam! The guys got a great video demo on the site, and he developed it himself.

It looks really cool and I'm gonna play around with it tonight. Ill write a better review/more info on it if ya'll are interested. I thought this might be really cool for the guys in the small shops or even do it yourselfers that may not wanna go through the hassle of doin all the layout themselves.

Link-http://www.digitalpipefitter.com/

Edit2-From my first 5 minutes of this program, I think it would be great for all the airplane builder guys out there-I know theres alot of tubing intersections and what not, and this might help ya out for designing some of the trickier joints.
Last edited by kermdawg on Thu May 05, 2011 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

I looked at it too. It looks really nice ,but only the trial download is free. The license to use the full version is over $350.00. It looks like it would be worth it , though. Nice find!
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
kermdawg

DOH! Well F@*(, I musta got a little jumpy. That sucks I thought it was free. Im changing my review :(
rickbreezy
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:08 pm

Yes this would be very usefull for a company, but doesnt standered auto-cad software do the same thing?
kermdawg

I know my cad doesnt, but its just a cheapy from office depot. Figured for 40 bucks I couldnt go wrong, but its buggy as hell on my computer, and I got a pretty decently powered computer at home.
Jimmythewelder
    Tue May 31, 2011 5:51 pm

I installed that free trial offer for Digital Pipefitter too. Wasn't going to spend the ching until I heard good things about it from people who've actually proofed it out on a few jobs and can attest that it works accurately...So far, not a word. There's nothing more aggravating than trying to work with a template that doesn't fit correctly.

I've been making templates for better than 40 years and in many cases laying the ordinates out directly on the workpieces. Can't even imagine how many copies of "Ordinates for 1,000 Pipe Intersections" I've worn out. Since I got into AutoCAD about 20 years ago, the task of layout and plotting became a lot quicker and easier.

Since it's somewhat impractical to have the workstation right on the job with me, I also went another route. I programmed a bunch of routines into my TI-83 Plus calculator for figuring out the most common pipe problems (offsets, miter ordinates, equal spreads etc.). Even wrote one to figure 16 ordinates for a 90 degree saddle-on tee using any size combinations and wall thicknesses of pipe. As we speak, I'm working on another calculator routine for developing 16 ordinates for 45 degree laterals.

J
mathewdisoza
    Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:36 pm

kermdawg wrote:So cruisin around on the old Inter-web, I found a -real- cool piece of software-Digital Pipefitter. Basically this thing lets you print out templates with your printer, slap it on the pipe for say, a wye. Mark on the dotted lines, cut and shazam! The guys got a great video demo on the site, and he developed it himself.

It looks really cool and I'm gonna play around with it tonight. Ill write a better review/more info on it if ya'll are interested. I thought this might be really cool for the guys in the small shops or even do it yourselfers that may not wanna go through the hassle of doin all the layout themselves.

Link-http://www.digitalpipefitter.com/

Edit2-From my first 5 minutes of this program, I think it would be great for all the airplane builder guys out there-I know theres alot of tubing intersections and what not, and this might help ya out for designing some of the trickier joints.

Thanks dear