General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Stato
    Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:51 pm

Thought id make a new thread asking about Generators..

So i was looking at getting a 250amp welder in my other thread... problem is that in Aus you need a 15amp outlet at your house to run such a unit.

As getting a 15amp outlet maybe a bit tricky where i am now (waiting to get a elec t check it out)... and then by the time i get a Electrician to do the work if more needs to be done than im hoping etc.. = $$$

Also... as it turns out i will need a generator for work soon... i was going to forkout maybe $500 for one... running hand tools etc... i saw most have a 15amp plug.... and then was thinking if i threw a few more $$ at it,I might be able to run the welder off that? and the up side would be to have a more mobile 250amp welder...

But i dont know if they produce the power to so.. so i was wondering if say about a 5kw unit will do it? usually rated about 4.7kw seems to be the run of the mill.. Or would i have to step up to a 7kw range?

Is there anything else i should watch out for? should it have RCDs? Some dont.

I see a term called AVR thrown around.. it stands for Automatic Voltage Regulation, is this something that would be needed with a Generator for welding? Someone was saying the Welders can be temperamental with voltage drop off... ie: what if runs out of fuel? or engine starts playing up..

I was thinking something like this...but seems small?
http://powerlite.com.au/product/powerli ... generator/

Problem is they do get expensive fast once they get bigger.. that one is a top brand though...

So any thoughts welcome really. Im expecting that it is doable... but doing it properly is cost prohibitive.
    Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:37 pm

Stato wrote:Thought id make a new thread asking about Generators..

So i was looking at getting a 250amp welder in my other thread... problem is that in Aus you need a 15amp outlet at your house to run such a unit.

As getting a 15amp outlet maybe a bit tricky where i am now (waiting to get a elec t check it out)... and then by the time i get a Electrician to do the work if more needs to be done than im hoping etc.. = $$$

Also... as it turns out i will need a generator for work soon... i was going to forkout maybe $500 for one... running hand tools etc... i saw most have a 15amp plug.... and then was thinking if i threw a few more $$ at it,I might be able to run the welder off that? and the up side would be to have a more mobile 250amp welder...

But i dont know if they produce the power to so.. so i was wondering if say about a 5kw unit will do it? usually rated about 4.7kw seems to be the run of the mill.. Or would i have to step up to a 7kw range?

Is there anything else i should watch out for? should it have RCDs? Some dont.

I see a term called AVR thrown around.. it stands for Automatic Voltage Regulation, is this something that would be needed with a Generator for welding? Someone was saying the Welders can be temperamental with voltage drop off... ie: what if runs out of fuel? or engine starts playing up..

I was thinking something like this...but seems small?
http://powerlite.com.au/product/powerli ... generator/

Problem is they do get expensive fast once they get bigger.. that one is a top brand though...

So any thoughts welcome really. Im expecting that it is doable... but doing it properly is cost prohibitive.
It will run some mig welders
I have seen some use for welding in the past

If doing stick welding get a gas welder
If have the need and money

Dave

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
A36
  • A36
    Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:38 pm

You would need to know the input current drawn by the welder you are considering. Current x Voltage = Watts
If the welder needs a 15 amp circuit a rough estimate would be: 15x230= 3,500 watts +/- A 5000 watt generator should handle the load but it might be stressed at the higher machine settings. Of course a 7000 watt unit would be nice but I think unnecessary. As far as voltage regulation goes that's more critical for sensitive electronic devices. A "tombstone" welder is nothing more than a transformer and a rectifier. The newer inverter based welders have electronics in them but should work fine. Use heavy cables to keep the voltage drop minimal.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I ran a 200amp inverter welder all day Friday last week off a 7k watt generator without issue. I was running 6010 and 7018, plus an angle grinder and an electric drill simultaneously (3 people). Never a hiccup. Even with the 6” metabo running, the arc starts were normal.

PS. Ran the welder on 230v
ryanjames170
    Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm

depends on the type of machine your going to be running and also the welding amperage, Ie you could run a 300amp inverter on a 4000 watt generator running 90-125 AMPs but you wont be able to run a 250 amp mig welder at 230 amps doing spray transfer on that same generator.

best thing i can say is to get the biggest generator you can.. over 5000 watts
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Lincoln Invertec V300 pro
Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Miller 2E DC Welder Generator
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Klutch Plasma 275i Plasma Cutter
Hobard/Smith Oxy Torch using propane.