General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
One1
  • One1
    Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:41 pm

Sometimes when I stick weld I use spatter spray, but PAM not the $15 option from the weld store. Mostly just on the welding table, but sometimes I lightly coat the metal of the part as well if it's going to be several welds requiring a long cleanup. Basically the question is should I not do that?
1957 Lincoln Idealarc 300, Miller 211 v1 mig, Lincoln 3350, CK Worldwide CK17FV, 9FV
Demented
    Sun May 06, 2018 11:51 pm

If you're just stick welding it should be fine. I've been on job sites where grinders were not allowed and we weldes through so much worse stuff than Pam without ever having an issue. The Pam will likely vaporize anywhere near the weld puddle anyway long before it can contaminate anything.
"Your welds should sound like bacon. If your welds smell like bacon, you're on fire." - Uncle Bumblefuck (AvE)
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

If you wanted to be particular about it, you could spray it on then wipe it off in the weld zone using a cloth soaked with break cleaner over your finger.

The only time I've seen it cause a problem was when a dude was spraying enough for it to puddle then welding over it.
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

The stuff l use costs CDN $6,00 a can at TSC. It's light, almost like water. Just dampen the area and after you are done welding it's pretty much disappeared. When using Flux Core I give every weld a quick spray and almost no spatter cleanup. Spray the mig gas nozzell once in a while and nothing much sticks. Tried a can of the expensive thicker spray once and didn't work any better and just left a mess. Gave it away after one use.