General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Shastri11
    Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:30 am

What kind of role does reinforcement play in weld?
Is it allowed to grind the reinforcement of weld.
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

Mind explaining a bit more?
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

If your talking reinforcement in the context of a fillet weld then it plays a huge part. Do you have the template gauges for measuring fillet welds?

https://weldingsupply.com/cgi-bin/einst ... EF:X:MG-11
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Shastri11

tungstendipper wrote:Mind explaining a bit more?
Like you are doing groove welding(V groove) and you have joined the test coupons. After the final pass you get the reinforcement on weld about 2-3 mm. So the question is ,Is it necessary to remove the reinforcement. Does the reinforcement has any role to play in the joining process? Would that affect the strength of the weld if removed?
Please clarify?
Shastri11

Poland308 wrote:If your talking reinforcement in the context of a fillet weld then it plays a huge part. Do you have the template gauges for measuring fillet welds?

https://weldingsupply.com/cgi-bin/einst ... EF:X:MG-11
I am talking specifically of Groove Welds.
Some clients ask specifically to remove reinforcements while some have no obligation to remove it.
That has created confusion.
Yes, the templates for fillet weld are available.
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

Some specs. indicate to grind flush, some don't. Its a consideration for sizing, strength, speed, cost, etc. depending on the function of is being welded.

Any and all test coupons I've either submitted or prepped/bent were ground flush. The ones that failed would have regardless of reinforcement or direction of bending (LOF at the faying surface) or for other reasons like inclusion or porosity over the allowable area per the applicable code.