General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:53 pm

I need some feed back from engine drive owners / or operators. I have scoured the local for sale sights and haven't found anything that trips my trigger so I have decided to buy new and have it whittled down between a Lincoln 250 GXT and a Miller BobCat 250, this is where you come in.

when I spoke to the LWS guy after I received the quotes he warned me he has had an extremely hard time getting support from Lincoln when he has a customer have problems, even with brand new out of the box machines. I don't know how big a deal this is because I have 3 Lincolns at home and 3 Lincolns and a Miller Trail Blazer at work and the Trail Blazer is the only one I have had a problem with but it does cause me pause because if Lincoln wont support him they sure aren't going to help me. if anyone would share their experiences with either red or blue it would be much appreciated.
no need in recommending higher priced machines because this is a part time gig for my enjoyment and I have no expectations of it paying for itself for many, many years to come.

many thanks.
the heck with the duty cycle on the welder, tell me about the duty cycle on that grinder !!
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

If you bump up in size you can get the miller with Efi and the modulated throttle, helps with the noise. Gas machines seam to start needing more motor maintenance at 300-500 hrs. But diesel ones are more like 3000 hrs.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
wronghand
    Wed May 30, 2018 4:36 pm

Welders are like boats: if you buy the smaller one you'll end up wishing it was bigger. My recommend would be a Ranger 305g. Plenty of jam for 99% of anything you'll ever do and they won't break the bank. Lincoln all the way for me. The 305g on my truck was purchased new in 2011 and still runs like a champ. I put one set of rubber engine mounts in it in all that time. That and oil changes are all that I've had to do to it in 7 years

Poland308 wrote:If you bump up in size you can get the miller with Efi and the modulated throttle, helps with the noise. Gas machines seam to start needing more motor maintenance at 300-500 hrs. But diesel ones are more like 3000 hrs.

Thanks Josh, I appreciate that. I have a diesel tractor that sits idle for 2 or 3 months a year and haven't had any problems that couldn't be cured with a fuel filter, I assume it would be the same for a diesel welder??
I have looked at some diesels in the interest of fuel savings and to avoid issues that go along with old gas but have information overload and will have to check price difference again.

thanks again.
the heck with the duty cycle on the welder, tell me about the duty cycle on that grinder !!

wronghand wrote:Welders are like boats: if you buy the smaller one you'll end up wishing it was bigger. My recommend would be a Ranger 305g. Plenty of jam for 99% of anything you'll ever do and they won't break the bank. Lincoln all the way for me. The 305g on my truck was purchased new in 2011 and still runs like a champ. I put one set of rubber engine mounts in it in all that time. That and oil changes are all that I've had to do to it in 7 years
Thanks Wronghand, I am a Lincoln fan to and had decided to go with the Ranger but all is on hold now.

I work 4 10's and am off on Fridays and the temp in the house went up all day instead of down so I may be spending that money on a new AC unit instead. I cleaned both coils and checked the duct over the weekend and didn't find a problem so I am borrowing a set of gauges to check the charge this afternoon, if its low the leak chasing begins if not it probably going to be weak valves, it's a semi-hermetic compressor. I'll be praying.

thanks again.
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

When I worked at an LWS both Lincoln and Miller were so-so to deal with for their engine drives. If its a problem with the engine, they refer you to the engine manufacturer/waranty, if it is a problem with the actual welder, they do their part for service to honor the warranty. Main problem being that there are actually 2 machines in one- the engine and the welder and explaining that to someone that is very unhappy is pretty difficult.

PeteM wrote:When I worked at an LWS both Lincoln and Miller were so-so to deal with for their engine drives. If its a problem with the engine, they refer you to the engine manufacturer/waranty, if it is a problem with the actual welder, they do their part for service to honor the warranty. Main problem being that there are actually 2 machines in one- the engine and the welder and explaining that to someone that is very unhappy is pretty difficult.
thanks, we have two shops who do work for Lincoln and Miller within a hundred miles but I never even considered they may not work on the engine. I had to take the trail blazer I use at work in last year for carb work and when I picked it up I almost fell out, it was over 600 bucks. being a kohler and not a warranty issue I just took it to a reputable small engine shop but I couldn't see that much money even replacing the carb but I guess they want to make a good living too.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Granddaddy wrote: I had to take the trail blazer I use at work in last year for carb work and when I picked it up I almost fell out, it was over 600 bucks. being a kohler and not a warranty issue I just took it to a reputable small engine shop but I couldn't see that much money even replacing the carb but I guess they want to make a good living too.
Also because they may have been subcontracting that repair out. So you were paying full price for the repair (which wouldn't be cheap) plus margin on the repair (for the LWS profit) for handling the work.

And lets be honest, repair costs on Welding equipment is not cheap when others do it. Its often "commercial grade" equipment, and safety, reliability, and parts quality often costs more than "consumer" products. If you gotta have it make a living, it will cost you more. :x

cj737 wrote:
Granddaddy wrote: I had to take the trail blazer I use at work in last year for carb work and when I picked it up I almost fell out, it was over 600 bucks. being a kohler and not a warranty issue I just took it to a reputable small engine shop but I couldn't see that much money even replacing the carb but I guess they want to make a good living too.
Also because they may have been subcontracting that repair out. So you were paying full price for the repair (which wouldn't be cheap) plus margin on the repair (for the LWS profit) for handling the work.

And lets be honest, repair costs on Welding equipment is not cheap when others do it. Its often "commercial grade" equipment, and safety, reliability, and parts quality often costs more than "consumer" products. If you gotta have it make a living, it will cost you more. :x
Cj, even though I don't use it to make a living yet I quite agree with you and would much rather have it right than have it cheap but repetitive.
my goal is to be set up in 4 years so when I retire from my current job I'll be ready to go. I don't expect it to be 40 hours a week and really don't wont it to be I just want something to do and have no interest in doing anymore time in the HVAC field. they say if you love your job you never work a day, well Ive been hitting it for over 40 years now. I loved the pipe fitting but have never liked the service side which is where I have been for over 30 years.

many thanks.