General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
mpete53
    Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:33 am

I have read a few post on this forum about removing galvanizing before welding. Soaking in cooking vinegar works but takes days to remove hot dipped galvanize. Other acids are just to strong and dangerous for my liking.

I have just learned that vinegar comes in different strength up to 30%, cooking vinegar is only 5%. I got a jug of 30% and tried it out 12 hour rather than 3 days to remove hot dipped galvanize from this nut and washer. Still not real fast but a lot safer no major safety warnings on the bottle.

Photo shows a nut and washer that were galvanized. The grey section is how it came out of the soaking, the bright section after a hand wire brushing, and the weld. I did not see a hint of zinc while welding

Mark
Attachments
washer.JPG
washer.JPG (63.29 KiB) Viewed 1039 times
JimboTN
    Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:34 pm

Where did you find the 30% vinegar. Been looking for 20-30% vinegar and haven't found any locally (Middle Tennessee).
JimboTN
Always in a "Volunteer State" of mind
Fisher of Men, Hunter of Coyotes
mpete53

$24.00 a gallon delivered amazon prime
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Vinegar is an acid and as such, it will eat whatever is in it's way indiscriminately. So, if you leave the steel parts immersed too long, you won't have anything left to weld.

Something cheaper and far more effective is The Works toilet bowl cleaner. It will strip rust and galvanizing within an hour or so. Then eat your part. It runs about $2-3 for small bottle. You can also find Zep Toilet Bowl Cleaner by the gallon in the local Home Center, in the paint/chemical aisles. You can use it if you need a larger tank to soak in.

Both require cleaning of the parts afterward before welding.
mpete53

sounds go I will try that next Thanks
Mark
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

Mpete if you end up using the Works, at least you can use the 30% Vinegar as a non selective weed and grass killer :) make sure you use gloves and eye protection any vinegar above 10% can burn the skin.
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225