General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
JHenze646
    Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:44 pm

I am finally to the point where I am looking at buying a home and as a hobbyist I am dreaming about setting up a home shop.
I have a long list of gear that I would like to outfit the shop with because I like to make all kinds of things. My thoughts are that if I could sell some of those things I could afford both in space and monies to make even more things. So my question is what should I be aware of when selecting a house in regards to zoning, ordinances, insurances, etc. for a home based business of welding, woodworking, forging, painting, and using chemicals?

Thank you in advance for your help.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

If you intend to run a licensed business from your address, best do some proper research with the local county to verify if there’s a zoning restriction in doing so. Some may allow certain types of businesses, other businesses they may not.

Chemical disposal and usage, flammable or combustible materials may all be completely taboo in your homeowners area. Welding is generally not too restricted, but demands for certain types of machinery and tooling may need 3-phase power, so that’s a question to your local power company. Or buy a phase inverter...

Homeowners insurance too requires some investigation. If you’re license as a business, then you’ll need business insurance on the shop, equipment, and liability on the work.

All this if you want to be by-the-book. Of course, you can simply hang a shingle or use word of mouth and municipalities be damned ;)

Don't buy into a HOA
Richard
Website
    Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:53 pm

LtBadd wrote:Don't buy into a HOA

X2
the heck with the duty cycle on the welder, tell me about the duty cycle on that grinder !!
    Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:37 pm

Simple get a license for portable welding.

Now home shop no HOA
As working from home do not tell your neighbors
The golden rules is no noises, no smell and no can what see your work.
If any ask you are doing Hobby work

Now work all day long on your hobby

Dave
cj737 wrote:If you intend to run a licensed business from your address, best do some proper research with the local county to verify if there’s a zoning restriction in doing so. Some may allow certain types of businesses, other businesses they may not.

Chemical disposal and usage, flammable or combustible materials may all be completely taboo in your homeowners area. Welding is generally not too restricted, but demands for certain types of machinery and tooling may need 3-phase power, so that’s a question to your local power company. Or buy a phase inverter...

Homeowners insurance too requires some investigation. If you’re license as a business, then you’ll need business insurance on the shop, equipment, and liability on the work.

All this if you want to be by-the-book. Of course, you can simply hang a shingle or use word of mouth and municipalities be damned ;)
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk