General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Fonzothedog
    Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:38 pm

A sculptor friend of mine just got a cochlear implant. She is getting low level shocks on her arms when they are resting on the table. This never happened before the implant. Does anyone out there know anything about TIG and cochlear implants ? She is freaking out because she is worried about damaging the implant or having to give up tig.

Please advise!

Thank you in advance for your help!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I can't see how the implant would contribute to being shocked... I'd expect your friend to hear significant noise if the implant were part of the current path. That said, I have a friend who had to have a pacemaker with built-in defibrillator implanted, and he's not allowed near arc welding of any kind for fear of triggering the defibrillator.

This question is best directed to the implant manufacturer. Someone there will have studied occupational effects before the device was approved, and will be able to guide you.

Steve
Demented
    Sun May 06, 2018 11:51 pm

HF starts may cause some issues with it, but I'm not 100% sure. Unless her head is right by the torch, I don't think it would be much of an issue on starts. I get shocked occasionally when my arms rest on the table and I don't have a CI yet. I've seen guys welding with them without any issues before but that was all stick welding. Probably best to ask the doctor.
"Your welds should sound like bacon. If your welds smell like bacon, you're on fire." - Uncle Bumblefuck (AvE)
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Don't have implants but I still get shocked sometimes when my bare arm is on the table.

So I try not to do that.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

MinnesotaDave wrote:Don't have implants but I still get shocked sometimes when my bare arm is on the table.
So I try not to do that.
This. Have your friend rest her ams on a non-conductive material (like wood, or a towel) and try it again.
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Get her to follow cj737 advice.
Today's CI processors are small, no bigger than a hearing aid fitted behind the ear.
If it was the Processor causing this behind the ear is where she would feel it, along with a fair bit of interference.
I assume you and your friend are in the northern hemisphere where it is now the height of summer and your friend Is perspiring, sweat or damp skin is a wonderful conductor.
Does she wear long sleeves when tig welding or just short or no gloves?
A bit of thin rubber mat or plywood to rest her arms on should make a difference.
Let the forum now how it goes.
Cheers
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....