General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
One1
  • One1
    Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:41 pm

I've been using the gutless wonder for about a year now, cursing it every time it grinds to a halt. It was a Ryobi 2.1 amp. Nothing special, but was hoping for more than it was able to do. The speed was fine, but no torque. Even light pressure slowed it down.

My Dewalt angle grinders have been beasts. I have 3 and they are unstoppable. After looking around I decided on the Dewalt DW758 3/4 H.P. 4.2 amp 3600 RPM 8" grinder. On the first test I could tell it was as good as the angle grinders are. I wasn't able to even slow it down, much less stop it. Typically I grind stubs off mild steel and run the freshly welded joints under the polishing wheel. Occasionally I have to do heavier work taking 1/4" of material off a steel bar or plate for 4" to 6" runs.

WIth all my grinders now Dewalt, I'm very pleased with the performance. I no longer feel compromised and for those wondering why not Metabo, I actually replaced my Metabo's with the Dewalts. I had 8 amp Metabo's and the Dewalts are 9 amp. They definitely have more torque. It remains to be seen if either would have outlasted the other as both performed excellent.

1957 Lincoln Idealarc 300, Miller 211 v1 mig, Lincoln 3350, CK Worldwide CK17FV, 9FV