General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

I accidentally left my argon valve open and lost what was left in the tank. Does anyone make an electric shutoff? Thinking maybe hooking it up to the light switch or a timer.
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

rahtreelimbs wrote:I accidentally left my argon valve open and lost what was left in the tank. Does anyone make an electric shutoff? Thinking maybe hooking it up to the light switch or a timer.
I wondered the same thing lately. I saw a Giant (brandname) welder in my buddies shop it had a 110v solenoid on the gas line between the tank valve and flowmeter, and a relay wired to the power switch on the welder. The welder itself plugs into 220.

Might be annoying if you move your welder around a lot since you need 2 power cables that way, a 220 and a 110. Unless you have a PowerMig that has a 110v plug built in.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

After a while the pain of loss makes it easier to remember.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

Poland308 wrote:After a while the pain of loss makes it easier to remember.
It motivated me to leakproof my setup :D
One1
  • One1
    Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:41 pm

It's not hard to form a habit. Turn it on when you get there, turn it off when you're done. Some machines leak inside, some don't. I had a Miller that would lose from 2000 down to 1200 overnight and no amount of troubleshooting could find that leak. Took it apart 3 times looking. My Lincoln's have never leaked. I can turn them off and 3 days later they are still dead on. I relax my regs on OXY rigs, but not on Argon.
1957 Lincoln Idealarc 300, Miller 211 v1 mig, Lincoln 3350, CK Worldwide CK17FV, 9FV
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

i hang my hood on it when the tank is open, since i always put my hood where i keep it,
if its on the tank its still open.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
    Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:37 pm

rahtreelimbs wrote:I accidentally left my argon valve open and lost what was left in the tank. Does anyone make an electric shutoff? Thinking maybe hooking it up to the light switch or a timer.
Odds there electric shutoff . The price would more than the cost of gas.

Give few more times of leaving gas on you will turn off the gas to save money.

When had a shop the last thing was check the tanks are off.
Yes some time it was on

Dave

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Odds there electric shutoff . The price would more than the cost of gas.

Yes some time it was on

Dave

Demented
    Sun May 06, 2018 11:51 pm

smithdoor wrote:Odds there electric shutoff . The price would more than the cost of gas.

Yes some time it was on

Dave

Definitely more than the gas is worth. $100 from McMaster will buy you a cheap one. As cool as it seems, not really worth it.

Over the years I've made it a habit to check the tank multiple times before leaving. Good habit to learn. I probably check the tank at work 5x before I actually leave.
"Your welds should sound like bacon. If your welds smell like bacon, you're on fire." - Uncle Bumblefuck (AvE)

The tanks I had from Air Liquide here in Canukistan had a simple lever for valve instead of a a knob. You could see from across the shop if the lever was open on shut. They got me really mad this spring so I ditched them for a different dealer who supplies Praxair. But they have older tanks with the twist knobs so I had to get in the habit of checking again.
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

I have done some "engineering" so I can get several different gases to the same welder combo. I am in the habit of hanging my hat on the main valve and my keys on the manifold. I check the valves several times a day when leaving and arriving. Somewhat a pain in the buttox but it's just me. I do have a leak inside the welder, takes about 8 hours to loose all pressure when shut down. Can't find it, must be in the panel gauge itself.

I agree
If you paying the bill you check.
Even today I check tank even I not use in weeks

Dave
Demented wrote:
smithdoor wrote:Odds there electric shutoff . The price would more than the cost of gas.

Yes some time it was on

Dave

Definitely more than the gas is worth. $100 from McMaster will buy you a cheap one. As cool as it seems, not really worth it.

Over the years I've made it a habit to check the tank multiple times before leaving. Good habit to learn. I probably check the tank at work 5x before I actually leave.

I agree
If you paying the bill you check.
Even today I check tank even I not use in weeks

Dave
Demented wrote:

Yes some time it was on

Dave