General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

If you want to weld on gas pipelines, the deisel has one distinct advantage-- no ignition system.

Some jobsites won't allow gas or LP machines, as the ignition system is another potential explosion source. (You'll be expected to have probably 300+' of lead, so your machine can be quite remote from your hot-work location.)

Additionally, there is less to go wrong mechanically with the Kubota.

The fuel costs are lower than you might realize; You can purchase "off-road" deisel for your welding rig (no highway/transportation taxes).

The Trailblazer is a fine machine, and I have no complaints with any I've ever used, with the exception of one rental unit, but I blame the rental co.'s poor maintenance for that.

In your place, I would base my decision on intended usage, and do a bit of research on the types of jobsites you intend to work. Any rig welders on here care to chime in?

Steve
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

In my opinion, if the trailblazer will do what you need, with a little extra, I would go with the trailblazer. And not just because I own one. It is an excellent machine and has operated flawlessly for me. I looked at the pipe pro on craigslist that you mentioned and it is an older machine. And with only 900 hrs on it that means that it has been sitting somewhere for awhile. These machines do not like to sit. They need to be ran. That could potentially cause headaches in the future. What Steve said about the diesel engine being the only type of engine allowed on some jobsites is really the only advantage over the trailblazer. If that is not going to be an issue, then I would BLAZE away. :D The fuel costs of diesel being more than gas offsets any advantage over the efficiency of the diesel unless you have access to off-road diesel. I prefer Kohler, but which ever gas motor you get (Subaru or Kohler) if you keep them properly maintained you will have them a long time. Not to mention you get full warranties with the trailblazer.

By the way, if you think about it, a Pipe-Pro 304 with only 900 hours on it for $6995 having to be re-listed because nobody wants it. That would make me wonder. :?:
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

It is a tough decision. But the one thing you don't want to have to do is turn down work because you don't have the right equipment. To me, that is a horrible nightmare. Watching those $$$ float away. As Steve had mentioned before, check out ahead of time any possible leads for work and see if they allow gas engines. If you can get by with the gas, I would roll with that. Personnally, I would rather have 2 machines (gas) for $8000 than 1 machine (diesel). In all reality, gas with EFI & electric fuel pump will get you to nearly the same efficiency as diesel. By the way, I feel your pain. (decision making) :( :(
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator