General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Fly
  • Fly
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:07 am

After another power outage I finally broke down a bought a generator. I bought a HF Predator 8750 watt
after doing much research. My question other than power for my home, will it power my Miller 200 Syncrowave
transformer style welder?

Fly :?:
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I doubt it, but could be wrong. I suspect your Synchrowave wants a much higher amperage 240v circuit than that generator provides. You need to look at the manual and determine the max amperage for the 120v and 240v plugs, then confirm your Synchrowave can operate within those amperage values.

Being as the Synchro is a transformer machine, they mostly require higher amps than an inverter machine. You probably have enough running watts for midrange welding, but not the max capability of the Synchhro.

My opinion...
Mike Westbrook
    Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:13 pm

It's the starting surge that a tranny welder requires that makes them hard to use on a generator it may suck say 50 amps momentarily but then run that setting at 20 amps (just an example) the Genny doesn't have that kind of power in reserve like the electric grid does

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Cutting torch hammer and a full vocabulary
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I concur. Usage will be very limited with such little running wattage of that generator (approx 7kW IIRC) AND a power hungry transformer welder.
LanceR
    Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:32 pm

Looking at the specs of both machines you generator makes a steady 29 Amps at 240 volts while you welder is looking for 54 amps at max rated output. As long as you stay at or below 100 amps welding output you should be fine on power. And no, initial power surge isn't an issue although I couldn't begin to guess what the Miller's circuit boards are going to think about it all.

I would definitely advise that you contact Miller first though and see what they think. The Syncrowave is likely not the typical kind of welder designed for generator operation. I would add to that caution my doubts as to the likely stability and voltage/frequency control of such an inexpensive generator.

All in all, if the power is out what do you really have such an urgent need to be welding on that you would risk damage to your welder?
LanceR

Miller Multimatic 255
Hypertherm Powermax45 XP
Heck Bevel Mill 4000
Ace fume extractor
Welding/cutting/brazing torches
cj737

LanceR wrote:Looking at the specs of both machines you generator makes a steady 29 Amps at 240 volts while you welder is looking for 54 amps at max rated output. As long as you stay at or below 100 amps welding output you should be fine on power. And no, initial power surge isn't an issue although I couldn't begin to guess what the Miller's circuit boards are going to think about it all.

I would definitely advise that you contact Miller first though and see what they think. The Syncrowave is likely not the typical kind of welder designed for generator operation. I would add to that caution my doubts as to the likely stability and voltage/frequency control of such an inexpensive generator.

All in all, if the power is out what do you really have such an urgent need to be welding on that you would risk damage to your welder?
Arc initiation draws the most amps. Whatever the max rated amp is, that should be your capacity. Less, and you’re apt to trip a breaker with the welder.
Fly
  • Fly
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:07 am

You guys are the best. I have a old Miller mig welder I could use instead if you guys think it would
work. This one is a 120 millermatic 220 volt. It would be a transformer type also being I bought it
new in the 1980,s. Being it does not pull the amps the other does would it be safe to use it. If not
it is no big deal. I just thought being I had this generator it might come in handy if I indeed needed
to weld off sight. But I do not want to hurt either the generator or welder.

Fly :?:
cj737

It’s probably “as bad” if not “worse” on the required circuit amperage. Have a peek at the electrical plate in the machine(s) in question. You should find the amperage needed by voltage listed clearly.

It is my suspicion, without probing through the manual of your genny, that the 120v is probably a 15 amp and the 240v is probably a 20 amp. Those voltages usually won’t run transformer welders. Some of the newer auto-sensing inverter boxes can, but it all depends upon the settings of the machine (how high the amps are set) and the duty cycle. You could probably Stick on 240v off that genny in a pinch...?
drizler1
    Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:37 pm

It’s worse than not powering your welder, it won’t power your house either! It will but only very selectively or you will brown out and fry big motors in a few seconds. By big motor I mean Fridge, well pump, furnace.
All those things have a huge surge requirement when they start. Beware of that when you are considering your load. Especially since they kick on Randomly and can overdraw your machine by surprise.
Also consider the big draw of some typical electrical devices. TV , computer lights are minimal but watch out for the coffee maker, stove ect. They all add up suddenly sometimes so a bit of balancing is needed. It does get interesting taking a shower as your dealing with the well if you have one and the electric hot water or furnace kicks on the same time the furnace lights. In that case I shut off the boiler safety switch and rolled back the fridge temp till finished. Also remember, you’re feeding all that via a single in my case 10 gauge wire back through the welder plug Feel it once in a while to see if it’s getting too [emoji2955]warm. If the genny starts to bog down shut something big off RIGHT NOW to avoid frying stuff.
All that sounds weird and it may or may not apply to your situation but you get the picture that some care is needed. Generac publishes a nice list of common appliance draws. Most motors like furnaces have it on the data plate.
Just take heed of what your asking from it and turn on select breakers accordingly heeding those startup surges and you’ll do fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk