General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Cyncwby
    Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:01 pm

I've been looking at new mig welders for a long time, now I have a real reason to get one. Miller and Hobart are first and second, then I see the Eastwood 175 units....and I know they are made in China but reading some of the reviews they seem like a decent deal for home garage use. The best price I've found, which is local for the Miller 211...no extra's is $998 w/tax, the Hobart 210 w/ a spool gun!! (Northern Tool) is $920 free shipping, the Hobart 187...no extra's is $675 free shipping, again Northern Tool. Then you have the Eastwood 175 w/ spool gun and free shipping is $499.....sounds too good specially with infinate settings on wire feed and heat. Lincoln is not out of the picture at all with a 180 Pro mig. I really don't need the 211/210 power but for another couple of hundred bucks....why not. I really like the idea of the 211 being a dual voltage unit so you could transport it to a friends house for 115v work. So what do you experts think, I know Miller and Hobart are independantly made but have the same parent company. Anyone have experience with the Eastwood...good or bad?......thanks, Dave
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Never heard of eastwood. I would compare your eastwood to everlast, the hallmark of chinese welders, and see how it stacks up.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

How easily available are parts and service for Eastwood? That would be my biggest concern. The liner in any mig gun hose will eventually need to be replaced or the roller wheels in the spoolgun may wear down. Miller and Lincoln have service and parts 20 minutes from anywhere in the US and Canada. Can you afford to be down for a month while your new part ships on the slow boat from China or India?
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
Cyncwby
    Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:01 pm

The Eastwood units use Tweco compatable parts so that wouldn't be a problem. If the guts went haywire then you have to send it back to them, they have the 5/3/1 warranty. BUT.....I found that Tractor Supply has a sale on the Hobart Handler 187 for $549 so I bought one of those units. I've used a buddies Hobart 140 in the past and I know how nice they weld, this 187 will be perfect for my needs.....don't need anything bigger. I just need a bottle of gas, have everything else.