General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Guys and gals, please use your respirators.

No brainer...
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

Thanks! Imagine that all going into your lungs!
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

How long was that one in service? Just curious, since I don't change mine that often. I wear it religiously though, but I'm only out in the shop 1-3 days per week for 3/4 hours on average.
    Mon May 21, 2018 9:47 pm

Oscar wrote:Guys and gals, please use your respirators.
How long have you used them and for what kind of jobs. For woodworking, small particles stay aloft in the air for a long time, and there is a strong justification for a mask. I don’t see how metal particles will be floating in the air long.

Just trying to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HTP Invertig 221H w/ Arctic Chill cooler and CK20 torch
Lincoln MP210 -- SOLD
Optrel Crystal 2.0
    Mon May 21, 2018 9:47 pm

HTP Invertig 221H w/ Arctic Chill cooler and CK20 torch
Lincoln MP210 -- SOLD
Optrel Crystal 2.0
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

It's hard to say, because I'm a hobbyist, so it's not like X hours per day, y days a week, z weeks a month kind of thing. I think I put those on in October, but I don't just use them for metal working. I wear them for any kind of task that has small particles all over the place---- cutting the grass/weeds, blowing the leaves, axe'ing bbq firewood, chainsaw'ing bbq firewood, miter saw'ing bbq firewood, etc. A lot of that is just wood dust and dirt.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi folks. Great point. Always use respiratory protection. One point to note is that respirator cartridges have activated charcoal in them that attracts particles, so some, at least of the black stuff was in there from brand new. The brown crap is all smoke though

Best, Mick
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

Can anyone comment on the organic vapor aspect of p100 filters (2097 or 2297 3m for example) and their half life so to speak.

From reading 3m literature they claim that the particulate aspect of the filter gets better as more buildup occurs.

I've read other things on the internet that the organic vapor aspect however will "fade away" when exposed to air. People recommend keeping the resp in a plastic bag, which to me screams mold with all the moisture from regular breathing.

I just keep mind out on the bench in the open air. Still can't smell any of the grinding dust or fumes after many months of the same filters.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

We always kept ours in a plastic container like a Tupperware container. I heard that the charcoal will attract dust out of the air and therefore become more clogged when you are not using it.