General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
bbaley
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:54 pm

Ok,
Here goes my dumb question of the week.

I have a multi-process welder (Everlast) that I have been using for MIG+Stick for a while now, but am just getting around to trying out TIG.

I have Argon tank and flowmeter already.

my question is - can you connect both gas sources via a "Y" and valves - or do you constantly have to disconnect/reconnect to a single gas source when you change processes ?

E.g. - can you have a 100% Argon tank, and a 75/25 Mig mix tank, connected via a "Y" and valves to the single welder gas input and switch between them?

I am asking this here because I am seeing a lot of conflicting opinions on the subject (and I might get a few more :) )
The AirGas people flat out told me NO
Others have said yes just purge the lines.
ad infinitum
ljdm1956
    Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:29 pm

My 2 cents - Yes, if you use a Y fitting, with shutoff valves on both inputs. You will have to purge when switching functions. I do the same thing with my Everlast, except I use Quick disconnect fittings between air, argon, and C25
Lincoln Weld-Pak 180
Lincoln spool gun
Everlast PowerUltra 205p
AHP AlphaTig 200X
Assorted stuff
bbaley

ljdm1956 wrote:My 2 cents - Yes, if you use a Y fitting, with shutoff valves on both inputs. You will have to purge when switching functions. I do the same thing with my Everlast, except I use Quick disconnect fittings between air, argon, and C25
Thanks - would you mind sharing a link to a suitable style of quick-disconnect fitting ? just so I can get semi-educated before I go looking...

Look for the fitting you want HERE, get the part number and look for a distributor
Last edited by LtBadd on Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard
Website
clavius
    Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:32 pm

I have a setup with with an argon bottle and a CO2 bottle that join with a wye so that I can quickly switch from my MIG machine over to my TIG with a quick connect fitting. When running the MIG I can flow AR and CO2 in various (if somewhat imperfect) mixes. I have a check valve in the line between each gas bottle and the wye fitting so that there can be no inadvertent back flow from one tank to another.
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

baley, I don't know where you are located but I am using valves and fittings from ACE hardware and not having issues. I used a T block, quarter turn valves, nipples, barb fittings and hose clamps. Everything is brass except the hose clamps.
bbaley

ltBadd - thanks,
looks like I probably want the Inter Gas version of the Valved "Y"

Looks like AirGas has some options
http://www.airgas.com/product/Gas-Equip ... s/p/WES411

Ill stop by and see what they have I can physically touch
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

This is what I use to Y Argon and C25, but I'm pretty sure you can use it for your setup, since it has valves. Cost me $42 for everything at my LWS. I use it for inert gas and it works just fine, even though it doesn't state it. I tune my tanks for a 92/8 Ar/CO2 final mixture to run my MIG in spray transfer. 8-)

bbaley

clavius wrote:I have a setup with with an argon bottle and a CO2 bottle that join with a wye so that I can quickly switch from my MIG machine over to my TIG with a quick connect fitting. When running the MIG I can flow AR and CO2 in various (if somewhat imperfect) mixes. I have a check valve in the line between each gas bottle and the wye fitting so that there can be no inadvertent back flow from one tank to another.
Thanks all - I Decided to just go with a quick connect fitting on each hose and one on back of machine - rather than a big "Y" and couplers and check valves and and and....
bbaley

clavius wrote:I have a setup with with an argon bottle and a CO2 bottle that join with a wye so that I can quickly switch from my MIG machine over to my TIG with a quick connect fitting. When running the MIG I can flow AR and CO2 in various (if somewhat imperfect) mixes. I have a check valve in the line between each gas bottle and the wye fitting so that there can be no inadvertent back flow from one tank to another.
Thanks all - I Decided to just go with a quick connect fitting on each hose and one on back of machine - rather than a big "Y" and couplers and check valves and and and....