General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Aaron W
    Fri May 17, 2019 6:19 pm

New to welding, so I'm going to have lots of questions.

I was able to pick up a 19x26" piece of flat plate 1/2" hot rolled steel at scrap value which I am going to use to make a portable welding table.
Being new I already have few projects ahead of making a table (like a cart to make the welder more portable). In the mean time I was planning on making an adhoc table using the plate of steel over a couple of saw horses, or possibly putting it on an old metal shelving unit.

Am I correct in thinking that the connection between the table surface and the physical ground doesn't matter, only that the tabletop, work piece and the ground clamp have a good connection back to the machine?

I mean theoretically I could mount the table on power pole glass insulators or copper ground rods sunk 8 feet into the ground and it wouldn't matter so long as that ground clamp from the machine has a good connection to the table, right?

I have a lot of plans for the welder so would really like to not cut the relationship short by electrocuting myself. :D
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Your ground clamp only needs a path to the work piece. If that is via contact with the table, then it's fine.
Aaron W

Thanks, thought so but less painful to ask, than to find out I was wrong.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Aaron W wrote:Thanks, thought so but less painful to ask, than to find out I was wrong.
Life’s best lessons leave scar tissue :D
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

You are correct, but be aware tat the optimum ground, or earth as we call it in Australia is directly to the part. The issue with being on a steel table that is grounded is that if there is a gap or dirt on the table top, the welding current has to jump across and cause an arc strike, that could be damaging to precision parts. Hope this helps
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

direct to part is best. i have accidentally welded a part to the table before. nothing major but its another thing thing that needs cleaning up later.
the other way to to connect to a third hand (that has brass feet).
tweak it until it breaks
Aaron W

The welding class I took was held in a high school metal shop that was probably built in the 1950s. The stick weld work benches were pretty rough, and cupped in places so I have experienced arc from the piece to the table and parts sticking to the table a few times.

My first projects are mostly square steel tubing, so I don't think having good contact will pose a problem, but also easy enough to clamp directly to the part for these projects if it does become an issue. Only real benefit to clamping the table instead of the part is not having to clamp and unclamp the parts as I go. Pretty minor time advantage for one off parts I'm making for myself.

I am looking at other options for clamping when I get to some of my smaller, less conveniently shaped projects.
Aaron W

Well I ran my first current through the machine and neither the machine or my hair are smoking so that is a good sign.

The operator needs some work, but my first MIG welds don't look too bad and will only get better with practice. I clamped one leg of the work to the table with the ground clamp.

Thanks for the help.
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

make a third hand with copper ends. eliminates arc strikes
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
loudandgreen
    Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:28 pm

I was about to ask a similar question. I'm glad there's quicker/smarter people. Thanks to the OP for beating me to it lol.