General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
DeathToMing
    Tue May 21, 2019 9:56 am

Hi all, for those who have started or own/run a mobile welding rig, I wondered if I could start a discussion on must have tools/equipment when starting out? Should one start with new or used equipment? Any truck mounted machines advice?

Not looking for bashing manufacturers or others experiences, just a good solid starting point based on your experiences.

Cheers and thanks!!

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

If you are already a weldor, then surely you must have some equipement, right? Probably want to start there. Why don't you list what you already have since this discussion would be primarly geared towards you figuring out your needs, so it's a key element.
DeathToMing

Oscar wrote:If you are already a weldor, then surely you must have some equipement, right? Probably want to start there. Why don't you list what you already have since this discussion would be primarly geared towards you figuring out your needs, so it's a key element.
Yes, just wanted to hear other members opinions on what equipment they started with and what worked great, what sucked, what they would or wouldn't purchase/own again. Basically an "In hindsight" kind of opinion.

My bad if my first post was too vague.

JohnMc
    Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:42 pm

Also a idea of the type of work you plan on doing would be helpful.

Can't remember if they where on Jody's or JD's youtube but about a yearago they had some talks about the basics for starting out.

JohnMc wrote:Also a idea of the type of work you plan on doing would be helpful.

Can't remember if they where on Jody's or JD's youtube but about a yearago they had some talks about the basics for starting out.

DeathtoMing,

Notice JohnMc's reply is in parallel to mine. I think the overwhelming majority aren't gonna want to endlessly yap-yap-yap if it likely serves no purpose to you, the person making the initial inquiry. We're all about contributing to actually help people, we're not here to have a tea party, lol. I know, me personally, nothing irritates me more (on the internet that is, lol), than an askhole. Makes a question, gets tons of input, information, insight, etc. Then goes "oh ok, thanks but I'm not going to do anything that anybody mentioned in any way shape or form", lol. Many of us have learned to "conserve our breath" that way, so we always end up asking (in one form or another): so what the heck are you planning to actually do? ;) BUT, if I'm wrong, then you'll get a lot of replies and it won't affect me in any way, lol.
DeathToMing

Oscar wrote:
JohnMc wrote:Also a idea of the type of work you plan on doing would be helpful.

DeathtoMing,

Notice JohnMc's reply is in parallel to mine. I think the overwhelming majority aren't gonna want to endlessly yap-yap-yap if it likely serves no purpose to you, the person making the initial inquiry. We're all about contributing to actually help people, we're not here to have a tea party, lol. I know, me personally, nothing irritates me more (on the internet that is, lol), than an askhole. Makes a question, gets tons of input, information, insight, etc. Then goes "oh ok, thanks but I'm not going to do anything that anybody mentioned in any way shape or form", lol. Many of us have learned to "conserve our breath" that way, so we always end up asking (in one form or another): so what the heck are you planning to actually do? ;) BUT, if I'm wrong, then you'll get a lot of replies and it won't affect me in any way, lol.
I understand completely, my plan is to do repair work, farm repair, minor fab work, build a railing, fire escape etc.

Kind of like Brock Holt, plays for the Red Sox, can play any position any day lol

Things I would want to know

Do you have any equipment already, including a truck?
You mentioned buying used or new, what does your budget allow?
Have you seen any of JD Brewer videos and how he operates when he goes onsite? My point being his setup isn't all dedicated to doing mobile work.
Do you have any customers wanting to give you work, or will you have to go looking?
Do you listen to Jody's podcast, there have been several dealing with starting a business and guests that have mobile businesses

Honestly there are a million details.
Richard
Website
DeathToMing

I will check those resources out. Thanks folks, I do appreciate all advice!

DeathToMing wrote:I understand completely, my plan is to do repair work, farm repair, minor fab work, build a railing, fire escape etc.

Kind of like Brock Holt, plays for the Red Sox, can play any position any day lol

I get ya. Most of the stuff I'm "hoarding" I'm doing so to hopefully do that kind of stuff when I eventually retire. I already have most any tool I would need for that kind of stuff, but the one thing I do need to get is a powerful generator and a truck-mounted air compressor of minimum 35CFM. Me likey air tools. Maybe even a semi-portable fab table if I needed to mock-up something and it needed to be decently flat/square. One thing you would need to decide on is: battery-operated, or hardwired electric tools? They each have their place.
DeathToMing

I have cordless and battery operated drills, drivers etc. no air tools beyond a cheapo kit that came with my compressor.

This is going to be a new career for me, after 25 years of Law Enforcement and Military service I need a change. So I will be slowly gathering items over the next year or two while working part time in a local sweatshop lol.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

DeathToMing wrote:I understand completely, my plan is to do repair work, farm repair, minor fab work, build a railing, fire escape etc.

Some of your list has very different tool requirements.

Farm repair, and repair in general, require a whole bunch of heavy tools for lifting, prying, jacking, long leads, large drills and grinders, etc..

Minor fab, build a railing - these use similar normal size tools but to be speed efficient require a decent table and good clamping fixtures.

Building a fire escape requires other tools for installation and long leads.

My one man, part time shop can play most positions and I'm mobile too. Several welders for different applications, I even have metal lathes and an iron worker. If I wanted to play any position I'd have even more tools...

I run a used bobcat 225nt because it's light and powers my electric tools. It also runs my portable 160 amp stick/tig off a 100 foot extension cord when needed. Also runs my suitcase wire feed.

My air tools run off a gas engine compressor.

Many of my normal tools are all duplicated on the welding trailer so I don't leave anything at the shop that I needed.

My opinion, either start mobile or start indoors, not both - but make sure you are an excellent welder regardless :)

Btw, I also do construction, carpentry, dump truck driving and mechanic work. And anything else to keep money coming in. Also, my regular job is a teacher, so my shop and other stuff do not provide enough to live.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
DeathToMing

That's great info thanks!!