General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
buggyman
    Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:00 pm

jpence38 wrote:What exactly are you doing to this grader? Are you replacing the cutting edge on it?
Well I am adding scarifying blades onto the front of the current mounted flat blades. Currently there is a bolt holding the cutting blade on every 12 inches. The blade and the back of the moldboard have places for a bolt every 6 inches.
Someone added a 1 inch thick complete sheet of harden skin onto the moldboard at onetime and only put holes every other spacing.
I’m wanted to hold the scarifying blades on with spaces/bolts which were not drilled when the skin was added.

I do have cobalt drill bits, they just barely scratch/cut the skin; this would be NO FUN to drill 13 holes through one inch!

I have not worked on the grader for a while. If I can get something to put even a small hole, I can wash out hole to the right size with the Oxy/Ace torch.

Thanks guys for the thoughts : )
finewoods
    Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:42 pm

I have no idea if it's feasible...you said it's too hard to drill...is it possible to first anneal just the spots where you want to drill the small holes with a torch to soften the steel and then drill the holes? If so, then you'd be able to finish them off with the cutting torch.
ogorir
    Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:04 pm

if it were me, I'd give a shot heating it up red and trying to run a drill through it while it's hot. if that didn't work, I'd probably just eat the cost of the torch tips, because I don't see much of a way around it.
SEAN
    Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:37 am

YOU ASKED !! I
would be pretty sure if it is as hard as you think it is to me it sounds like BISALOY A Good way of knowing if the material is too hard to drill is it will flatten the point of your centre punch check this on any parts you've heated and see if the punch sinks into the steel if thats the case heat will help if not (I wouldn't heat it first i'm pretty sure it will harden like stainless if you've drilled a hole in stainless you will know if the drill is blunt and the material gets hot the drill will make a Squeaking sound STOP STOP STOP IMMEDIATELY) speed is turned down to slow first up the biggest problem that most people have with drilling holes is the cutting edges from factory finish is way too steep you need to flatten the drill out to about 50 deg even less (and this applies for every drill in your life and your enemies) i would be prone to use pilot hole with 3/16 find some cutting compound of some sort if you cant find any thing buy a plastic bottle of Coca-Cola (don't laugh) punch a fine hole in the end so you can squirt it if your still laughing buy ROCOL CUTTING FLUID if you have an extra set of hands get them to squirt the fluid in as you drill this will enable you to stay constant and not have to stop
Rule no 1 keep the cutting edges cool if the chips come out blue STOP cool the tip you don't want sizzling sounds when you cool the drill light steam is ok.
If you can stand above your drill clamp it between your legs (Don't do this if you have an old thumper that can turn the world) you can normally handle around 900wats if your not stupid about it and heres the bombshell PULSE the drill trigger ZIP ZIP ZIP add weight just after you pull the trigger and lift your weight slightly before you release the trigger!!! YOU DONT WANT THE DRILL TO COME TO A FULL STOP KEEP IT ROTATING TO SOME EXTENT THE DRILL ONLY STOPS WHEN YOUR PULLING THE DRILL UP AND OUT IF THE DRILL STOPS WHILE FORCE AND THE CUTTING MOTION IS STILL INITIATED IT WILL LEAVE 2 BASTARD BURS IN THERE !!!!! WHILE USEING 3/16 THIS WONT RIP YOUR ARMS OF WHEN YOU RESTART IT WILL MOST LIKELY BREAK YOUR DRILL OF IN THE BLIND HOLE BE CAREFUL BE CAREFUL
before you start drilling (PULSING) add the compound in the center punch and coat the drill now start zip zip zip add a nice amount of force Once the cutting edges are buried in the plate you should now see two strands now start varying your weight(CHIPS ARE NICER) if you only have one stop and re-sharpen the drill properly hold the cutting edges in front of your eyes they should be even in length and when straight or vertical the cutting edges should be higher than the trailing edge (Check this against the factory sharpened one) (the less relief the stronger the cutting edges will be But not enough and it will be slow going the relief sets how much material will come out per revolution)
IF this goes ok and your starting now to feel proud of yourself the you would be better to pilot with 8mm 5/16 instead of 5mm 3/16 then 16mm 5/8 drill hahaha same process (I KNOW IT SEEMS LIKE A BIG STEP UP BUT IF YOU GO TO BIG THE DRILL WILL PLAY UP ALL THE WAY DOWN THE HOLE THIS WAY YOU CAN ADD A BIT MORE WIEGHT AND NOT HAVE YOUR ARMS RIPPED OFF WHEN IT GRABS END UP WITH A BROKEN KNEE AND LAND ON YOUR APPRENTICE DRILL COOLER
1- flatten the cutting edges out MORE THAN THE 5-8 MM 2-keep relief to bare minimum enough to get the chip out TAKE IT REAL EASY TILL THE CUTTING EDGES HAVE DISAPPEARED AND LAUGH ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM
IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO COMPRESSED AIR USE THE AIR TO COOL THE DRILL AND CLEAN THE HOLE OUT AS YOU GO RUN THE AIR CONSTANTLY WHILE ADDING CUTTING FLUID
SAFETY RULES TO BE APPLIED 1- WEAR GLASSES 2- USE A DRILL YOU CAN SLOW DOWN AND PUT THE HANDLE BACK ON -3 -KEEP APPRENTICES HEAD WELL CLEAR OF HANDLE 4- IF YOU CAN CLAMP AN F CLAMP ON THE EDGE SO THE HORIZONTAL HANDLE CAN SLIDE DOWN IT YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO HANDLE 16MM NO PROBLEM BUT BETTER SAFE THA 911
PS APPLY THIS TO EVERY HOLE YOU DRILL THE REST OF YOU LIFE SPECIALLY PEDESTAL DRILLS (IF IT HAS AUTO FEED AND CONSTANT COOLANT DIFFERENT RULES APPLY)V
IF THIS STILL SOUNDS DAUNTING BUT YOU CAN DRILL THE PLATE HIRE A ROTO-BROACH WITH MAGNETIC BASE DRILL THE SAME WAY AS DESCRIBED
SORRY IT WAS LONG I COULDN'T TELL YOU IN ONE SENTENCE
buggyman
    Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:00 pm

Thanks Sean for the reply :)
I need to work on the grader again, it is almost Fall grading time.
Paul
SEAN
    Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:37 am

let me know when youve hit it with the center punch mate
these tips are for everyday life mate mild steel aluminium stainless even spring steel yep the stuff that holds the ass end of a ute up if you think you will have trouble sharpening the right angle set an originally factory sharpened drill bit use somethink large sit it on your grinder with the sharpened edge on the stone (not running of coarse) halve that angle and scribe a line on the grinders rest (the thing that supports the job best if the wheels nice and straight too) keep the rest well below the centre of the grinding wheel so when you put your finger on the rest to support the drill the cutting edge at horizontal is just above the centre on the wheel this will give you about the right relief angle slide the flutes on the drill on your finger with a litle flick of the wrist to the right
sorry if you already know how to sharpen a drill my bad
oh and use BORDO or SUTTON drill i find the last the longest
TheExpert

mcostello
    Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:21 am

Do you have access to a large arc welder? 6010 cranked up would do it.