General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:43 pm

Not trying to get the Jody worshippers, panties into a bunch with this question. It’s just an honest question based on observations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Radishfever on Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Learning is the best part of life and the most painful
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

My personal opinion is that the weld.com forum seems to be where people go who are perceived to be shills for chinese welders (rightly or wrongly), or have been banned from Welding Web. Its just a different crowd over there. Their association with "Mr. TIG" didn't help them either, because his welding (as seen in their videos) was widely derided as being mediocre to poor, and he seemed to puff himself up with that title (to the point of absurdity). When weld.com switched to Bob Moffat, and now to the new guy, Redbeard, the quality of their videos improved IMMENSELY. I actually like Redbeard a LOT. But that quality improvement never seemed to be reflected into the forum. You can try weldingweb.com, but be forewarned, they are not as gentle as the folk here. Definitely more flame wars and locked threads than this forum.
Multimatic 255

Actually, it now looks like that forum was closed. All the URLs lead me to an error page
Multimatic 255
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

I don't know which forum you're saying goes to an error, but I can see Weldingweb.com, though I don't tend to spend any time there.
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.

the weld.com forum no longer works for me. I get a page not found error.
Multimatic 255

Kevin mentioned for some time that the forum was going to be updated, but that never happened. Went back the other day and it wasn't there, they could have had the decently to at least post a message stating it was closing.

I spent some time there and I don't know why you would think it was more active, for the longest time just a handful of people that would post on a consistent basis.

Now its their blog or something, BUT you can buy $30 ball caps and $5 stickers!! :o
Richard
Website
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I'm glad Mr tig is gone. He was a disaster. I saw him on YouTube. Red beard seems very good. But I'm a niners fan. I mean, a Jody fan.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

weld.com forum looks to be history.
its been replaced by a blog style post.
not to surprising, it was getting hammered by spammers.
they had been talking about replacing it for some time.

sadly facebook seams to be talking over the forums, which is a shame because FB sucks as a forum.
so i do hope jody keeps this one going as forums are much better for asking questions on.
tweak it until it breaks
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

As usual, I agree with Louie. Nailed it.

I was discussing this forum with an acquaintance the other day. The one thing that I expected when I joined this forum, and probably a lot of others as well, is for Jody to be active and moderating this forum. But that is not the case. If he was here, being active, answering questions, posting up new info, new products, etc, etc, this forum would blow up! Just look at how many subscribers he has on his YouTube channel. You don't think they would flock over here if they knew he would be at least partaking in answering 30-40% of posts/questions? But alas, he won't. It won't bring him revenue for the time invested. WeldingWeb is "harsher" but it's not un-bearable, IMO. If a hobbyist like me can make it this long on WW (almost 10 years), then anyone can. It's all about where someone chooses to invest their time and effort.

WeldingWeb is "harsher" but it's not un-bearable, IMO. If a hobbyist like me can make it this long on WW (almost 10 years), then anyone can.
Agree, but you may find that you have to put certain members on "ignore". There are a few that do nothing but complain or criticize or start flame wars. And the political comments really take off sometimes. Again, you have to ignore it. Welding Web takes thicker skin than this forum.
Multimatic 255

Louie1961 wrote:
WeldingWeb is "harsher" but it's not un-bearable, IMO. If a hobbyist like me can make it this long on WW (almost 10 years), then anyone can.
Agree, but you may find that you have to put certain members on "ignore". There are a few that do nothing but complain or criticize or start flame wars. And the political comments really take off sometimes. Again, you have to ignore it. Welding Web takes thicker skin than this forum.
hehe, true. I actually don't have anyone on ignore over there, and I never visit the political forum as that has less than zero interest for me.

Oscar wrote:As usual, I agree with Louie. Nailed it.

If he was here, being active, answering questions, posting up new info, new products, etc, etc, this forum would blow up! You don't think they would flock over here if they knew he would be at least partaking in answering 30-40% of posts/questions?
Yea, but if Jody started answering questions then would anyone disagree? You'd have the "Jody said so" and any other advice (opinion) would be tossed.
Richard
Website

If some is adamant enough, they ought to. Whether or not the disagreement has any merit is what the discussion would be for. What Jody has in his favor is his plenty of experience AND documentation to back up his point-of-view through his YouTube videos. But even then, no one knows everything, and in the end, advice is only worth what you pay for it, or how much credibility you attribute to the advice-giver. I for one try to back-up a lot of my claims/advice with with either info from a credible source, or actual "investigations" or "experiments" if something has yet to be documented to a decent extent.

I don't think it' would be so much of a "hey you can't argue with Jody!", but it would/should be more of a "what kind of evidence can you bring forth to the table (that is both documented and repeatable), if you have an opposing or different point of view?"

I understand that Oscar, still people being people some may not, either way it was just a thought I had, maybe I am over thinking it...
Richard
Website
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

Oscar wrote:As usual, I agree with Louie. Nailed it.

I was discussing this forum with an acquaintance the other day. The one thing that I expected when I joined this forum, and probably a lot of others as well, is for Jody to be active and moderating this forum. But that is not the case. If he was here, being active, answering questions, posting up new info, new products, etc, etc, this forum would blow up!
it looks like jody stopped a year or so ago.
i think its son of jody who is lurking in the background.

however social media and forums takes a huge effort to manage and i would not be surprised at all if jody has his hands full with just with instagram alone. thats is just the way it is and its pretty typical for most forums.

jody is still regular on instagram. i saw a comment and post he did complimenting someones work and i must say thats pretty awesome to see. seeing the 'heavy hitters" or "welding celebs" take the time to respond even tho they must be dealing with tons of messages. good stuff guys. 8-)

Instagram is where the action is but forums are still the best place to ask questions and get actual help.
tweak it until it breaks
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Oscar wrote:
Louie1961 wrote:
hehe, true. I actually don't have anyone on ignore over there, and I never visit the political forum as that has less than zero interest for me.
Pretty much the same for me. I don't have an ignore list either - and if a person stays out of the political thread they'll be much happier in the long run ;)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
yachtweld3mm
    Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:35 am

Hey bloke,
put a suitably sized bolt thru' the gap and weld over it. ! Cut off the head of course and grind the weld flush.

As for all this weld.com and forum stuff,
Ask questions, you'll get answers.
I'm only new here so I haven't yet received any answers from the dead.
Interesting things forums,
I'm restoring my ancient steel yacht and at times I've googled steel boat subjects and only been lead to the same " knowalls" on the same dead boat forums.
You buy a book on a nautical subject and its written by Not an expert tradesman who has spent his life among the tools of trade but a publisher of gathered information. Anyhow, to make a short story long, be thankful we can ask questions here cause there are no worthwhile steel boat sites other than the ones that don't give wisdom or answers just- " golly, I banged this flame thing and it sparked and went BBBZZZZZZZZ so this must be how you weld!"

What I'm getting at is this:
I came here to ask questions about welding a steel boat and got good answers.
What have these "dead" worshippers of Collier not been able to answer for you that you need to be going to weld.com forums????
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

When 6 people stand in a circle looking at the same thing at the same time,they will all see something different. Angle of view and all.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

Unless it's a sphere, or a circle laid flat on the ground. Then everyone sees the same thing, lol. :D
Poland308

Sunlight only throws shadows in one direction. So still a different view. :D

Josh

I miss Mr. TIG....the bashings and flame wars he would get were EPIC!! And very amusing.
Multimatic 255

Poland308 wrote:Sunlight only throws shadows in one direction. So still a different view. :D
Except when the sun is directly over head of the sphere :D
Poland308

Ok you got me at 99% but a perfect sphere is rare.

Josh

Poland308 wrote:Ok you got me at 99% but a perfect sphere is rare.
If 6 people are standing in a circle looking at the same thing, more than likely there is alcohol involved, so it won't matter. :lol:
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

If 6 people have a different opinion, one is right. Just hope you can get the outcome to be the correct one rather that the opinion of the biggest mouth in the group.