General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
JPrince02
    Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:34 pm

I recently started my second year of welding school in a votech program. I just got a pancake over the summer while I was welding for my company. I had previously worn a tiger hood and sugar scoop last year. When I showed up to class my instructor told me that I can’t use it because it’s unsafe. (They have a history of questionable choices in class). I didn’t understand why and I quickly realized none of them had ever seen a pancake before I brought mine in. I tried to explain to them why it was safe and not much different from any other hood but was quickly shut down and threatened a write up for insubordination. I haven’t brought it since. But I’m curious if anyone has had a similar experience or if I’m unaware of a rule or something? (I read the syllabus for the class front to back and there’s no specifications on hoods)
E T
  • E T
    Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:16 pm

Did they give a reason why they considered it unsafe?
The only reason I can think of is the balsa box that fits over your eyes. They might see that as a fire hazzard because its made of balsa wood.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

i wouldn't worry about it. some day you will work for a company that has even more stupid rules. thats just part pf working life.
tweak it until it breaks
VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

tweake wrote:i wouldn't worry about it. some day you will work for a company that has even more stupid rules. thats just part pf working life.
Amen
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!
JPrince02
    Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:34 pm

E T wrote:Did they give a reason why they considered it unsafe?
The only reason I can think of is the balsa box that fits over your eyes. They might see that as a fire hazzard because its made of balsa wood.
They never actually gave me a reason. They just repeated “unsafe” and when I explained that the balsa box is fit tight to my face so even if a spark did happen to get over the hood and on top it wouldn’t really do anything. They just ignored me and said absolutely not. Me and my buddy have tiger hoods as well and they have an open (ish) top and nothing was ever said. I obviously wear a welding cap and jacket so it’s not like that’s a huge issue either. I just don’t really see why they’re fighting tooth and nail over it
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Truthfully I would not worry about it.

Your other 2 lids will work very well for class.

No reason to push the issue, even though it's a stupid rule.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Wait until you get to a DuPont job site. You can’t leave a push broom leaning against a wall. It’s (stored energy) and potentially dangerous. All brooms must be kept in a barrel ( that also needs to be labeled) brooms. But they pay very well because every job takes longer.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

Poland308 wrote: You can’t leave a push broom leaning against a wall. It’s (stored energy) and potentially dangerous.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Richard
Website
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

got to a job site and because the safety glasses we were using weren't the ones supplied by college joe, , , college joe was having a hissy fit. We offered to leave and joe had to explain that one to the super .... Fiasco 0, job completion 1.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

At my company's munitions facility, you are not allowed to walk on the grass and then into the facility because chemical reaction between grass and the explosives is possible. They also only have sheep to mow the grass because no petrol is allowed on site. Rules are rules... Seem strange but all come from a good intention

How many sheep does it take to cut, ah...eat the grass? Do the sheep have names? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pics or it ain't true.
Richard
Website
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I've only heard the stories, I don't work they. Can't vouch for numbers and names but I know they can't have new Zealanders working there, due to workplace safety.

Also if you have seen die hard with a vengeance, you can understand about the broom handle hitting the floor. I'm sure many industrial accidents have occurred because someone thought.... That would never cause a problem..
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

LtBadd wrote:How many sheep does it take to cut, ah...eat the grass? Do the sheep have names? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pics or it ain't true.
I wonder if they have to hire people then to clean up the...exhaust...from the sheep [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

weldin mike 27 wrote:I've only heard the stories, I don't work they. Can't vouch for numbers and names but I know they can't have new Zealanders working there, due to workplace safety.

Also if you have seen die hard with a vengeance, you can understand about the broom handle hitting the floor. I'm sure many industrial accidents have occurred because someone thought.... That would never cause a problem..
:lol: :lol: :lol:
drizler1
    Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:37 pm

Like my buddy said about working as an Air Force mechanic. Someone would come up with a better easier way yo do something and the answer was always the same. “SHUT UP AND COLOR”. [emoji85]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

drizler1 wrote:Like my buddy said about working as an Air Force mechanic. Someone would come up with a better easier way yo do something and the answer was always the same. “SHUT UP AND COLOR”.
Having been Air Force, there is a way to change the ways and methods of doing things, but you have to put in the proper forms, and get approval from on high.

I was assigned to a special work group, with a task of checking a wear point on all the planes assigned to our base, due to a manufacturer mistake on the assembly line (possibly due to lazy assemblers, but who knows...)
The "book" method to accomplish the task involved disassembling a number of panels around the item to be tested, and around 2 man hours labor for each of the four assemblies per plane.
I didn't like having to spend that much time on a maintenance stand, in the middle of winter, and realized that with a bit of creativity you could get the whole thing tested in ~2 hours, if you left the panels in place and reached into the gap around the part, loosening the fasteners with some slightly misapplied tools.
Once the solution was found, the supervisor was shown the issue, and got it approved from on high, leading to completion of the task in FAR less time than the schedule expected.

That said, the ARMY is famous for their "work harder, not smarter" mindset...
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

drizler1 wrote:Like my buddy said about working as an Air Force mechanic. Someone would come up with a better easier way yo do something and the answer was always the same. “SHUT UP AND COLOR”.
Having been Air Force, there is a way to change the ways and methods of doing things, but you have to put in the proper forms, and get approval from on high.

I was assigned to a special work group, with a task of checking a wear point on all the planes assigned to our base, due to a manufacturer mistake on the assembly line (possibly due to lazy assemblers, but who knows...)
The "book" method to accomplish the task involved disassembling a number of panels around the item to be tested, and around 2 man hours labor for each of the four assemblies per plane.
I didn't like having to spend that much time on a maintenance stand, in the middle of winter, and realized that with a bit of creativity you could get the whole thing tested in ~2 hours, if you left the panels in place and reached into the gap around the part, loosening the fasteners with some slightly misapplied tools.
Once the solution was found, the supervisor was shown the issue, and got it approved from on high, leading to completion of the task in FAR less time than the schedule expected.

That said, the ARMY is famous for their "work harder, not smarter" mindset...
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Hello JayWal....I really like the thought process of cleanup, BUT, I don't think it would be the "exhaust" as much as it would be the backfires causing problems. Gawly, I love the exhaust of mother nature...out here we call it fresh air. :lol:
    Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:30 am

I too, (USAF 50 years ago!) worked on ejection seats. We had rules that were strictly observed. And actually, everyone followed the rules. No matter how simple the problem, two persons always went to AC, along with a checklist. (the checklist) One did the work, the other did inspection while the first followed the checklist, every time, period. Thing was, the egress system was the last option for the crew. Everything had to be right.

Look! a hole in the space-time continuum!
vaguy101
    Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:24 am

Just wear a fibremetal pipeliner best shield ever made .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk