General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Contred3030
    Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:08 pm

I'm setting up more of a shop in my garage and was wondering if there are any good/safe oils to wipe down tables and equipment with, considering this a a space I occasionally shared with my wife and son? Would mineral oil or cotton seed oil work? Thank you for your time.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Gun cleaning oil works good.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Faelwolf
    Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:47 pm

Plain old mineral oil. I use the cheap stuff from the discount store, no need for pharmacy grade or anything. Works great, even down here in Florida. You can't get much safer, it's even usable on eating utensils. Works great for about anything made of iron/steel. If you have a severe environment, like living right next to the ocean or on board a ship, add a small amount of liquid lanolin to the mix. I have found that for tools and other things that aren't going to be used in food prep, a 50/50 mix of mineral oil and mineral spirits will give protection without a heavier oily feeling. The mineral spirits evaporate, and leave behind a thinner film of mineral oil. Also works a treat for guns, especially black powder, as it won't react with black powder residue to make tar.
drizler1
    Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:37 pm

What about ATF? Even used tranny draining. Super thin and seems to do a goos job keeping rust Away in my experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Lanoline.
Used for seveal thousand years on iron and steel.
Cheap, non toxic, effective.
I use it on my welding table and firearms in a sub tropical climate,
Works well.
Also works as an anti spatter coating.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
Xsbank
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:42 pm

I use Le Tonkinoise varnish. Linseed and tung oil, sets up non-sticky. The French navy uses it. No solvents or nasty ingredients, does not shrink when it dries.