General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Delasangre
    Fri May 17, 2019 9:42 am

Olivero wrote:
Delasangre wrote:
Olivero wrote:Only way I think you could do it is with stick and a steady arm.

That doesn't rely on shielding gas the same way TIG does. and I've done it before in holes, just kind of stick it in there and drag it around, do that a couple of times till the hole is full of metal.

It ain't perfect, but with a skinny enough electrode, you might even have a semblance of control.

I guess you could flux core wire it as well? I don't do MIG much so I don't know that one
I tried stick like that and it was a fine balance between enough amps to make it melt and not so much that I don't blow the thin wall out. It didn't work well, it made pockets of slag where it wouldn't melt into the wall of the hole.

Dual shield didn't work either, the flux/slag just pooled up on the surface and got thicker and thicker and it sputtered and died the thicker it got. Blocked the arc from continuing to weld. Part of it was the stainless dual shield wire being funky, if it was just mild steel it might have worked.
Damn, well there you go.

Tig would be nearly impossible without a line of sight.

What if you just threaded it as is, screwed in a stud (cut the head off a bolt) then weld over it?

Won't be watertight but it might get you by?
The purpose of this operation is the re thread the holes, I don't understand why they refuse to helicoil stuff, but it is what it is.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

It's more than likely a new item. Imagine paying a premium for a new part and then finding a quick fix slapped on it to cover a mistake. I would not be happy.
Delasangre
    Fri May 17, 2019 9:42 am

weldin mike 27 wrote:It's more than likely a new item. Imagine paying a premium for a new part and then finding a quick fix slapped on it to cover a mistake. I would not be happy.
The alternative is weeks sometimes months to get a new casting made, and a very unhappy and impatient customer.
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

can you chamfer the same size as the hole toward the meat side, toss some pieces of filler into the hole before tigging and do your normal tig procedure? And use a LARGE Furic see thru cup, with pre flow. IF they still want to re-order a casting, get the old one and work on it.
there's my nickel,,hope it works for you.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Impatient customers would have to take what they can get. So they would get the helicoil.
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

I had an idea.

Cut out the side of the flange, kind of like cutting out the side wall of the hole and then weld it up.

Would that work?

I don't know what else you can do dude, there's not that many options, you're either going to have to do it the shitty way or the helicoil way or the new way.
if there's a welder, there's a way