General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
blbd
    Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:31 am

I tried to do some TIG followed by Stick and it was not working.

Come to find out that if you're doing stick and the pedal is plugged in then the welder behaves totally different.

It's not documented in the manuals or anything either. So I wanted to understand what the pedal is supposed to do in Stick mode and if there's a way to enable and disable without messing with the pedal electrical socket when this pedal behavior is annoying.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

In my TIG welders, if you leave a remote amp control plugged in, whether it be a foot pedal or hand amptrol, it works to control current on stick just like it does on TIG. And in mine there is no way to "disable" it if it is plugged in. Perhaps yours is the same way.
blbd
    Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:31 am

Thanks for the confirmation Oscar. That's the funky behavior I was seeing too.

I reported it to the guys at Baker's Gas that make some YouTube videos and have a backdoor to ESAB to get them to make it more clear and document what it does because the manual doesn't explain any of it.
TimB
    Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:16 pm

I have had my Ideal Arc 300/300 TIG for 10 or 12 years and just recently set up to use TIG and the Amptrol.

If I leave the Amptrol plugged in and switch on "remote control" the Amptrol varies the amps to the stick lead.

It seems that could be useful for stick welding. I am going to play with that this weekend.
I would have written a shorter essay had I had more time.
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Same here, on my Miller Dynasty 200 DX, if I leave the pedal in, it triggers the arc like it would with TIG, not sure if it regulates, I'm sure it does but I never tried it.
if there's a welder, there's a way