General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
E-3
  • E-3
    Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:31 pm

Hey Jody, I’m a weekend welder but love it and I’m constantly trying to educate myself, thanks for all the knowledge you give us.
I see a lot of field pipe welders run 6010 root down hill but then watching instructional videos most guys run it uphill on the root. I know you get better penetration UH but I would assume these field guys are pretty competent. What determines when you go UH vs DH with 6010?
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Welcome E-3. Jody doesn't respond/post here, at least not that I know of. In any event, you will surely get some good responses.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

i cannot tell you why, would like to know more about it myself.

however take note of the rod manufactures instructions. eg one of mine states to use a small land, tight gap and run downhill fast. obviously that rod is made for that setup.
no doubt pipe welders will have a procedure to follow so they don't get much choice.
tweak it until it breaks
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Call it a dumb hunch, but I suspect it's a lot easier to [physically] transition from the top of the pipe downward towards the bottom, than to start at the bottom and stand/pick yourself up to an upright position while maintaining proper electrode positioning & movement. This is not withstanding WPS's or anything, just a general idea of mine.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Since 6010 is easy to run vertical down, I use it whenever the gap is wide, or the material is thin, or I'm in an uncomfortable spot and just need to sew the joint closed before using 7018.

Those are some of my criteria for fixing something. Easy way to get the job done well. :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
snoeproe
    Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:37 am

It’s the code or standard that the individual is certified with that determines up hill or downhill root passes on pipe.