General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

I load test my TIG welder every time my Tungsten gets stuck to my work.
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!
ESENTI
    Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:36 am

thank you all , but i insist , i want to weld 4mm thick metal to 0.4 mm , so i'm willing to try , it is like when the tungsten stucks
...any drooping machine in dc capable to provide 250 amperes will do what is this drooping? in dictionary is bend over something not right ....
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I believe we’ve come upon a translation issue. Can you draw a picture or take a picture of the metal setup your planning on.
If the thinner metal is on top then you can melt the top layer by puddling the metal same as if you were welding. When the pool of molten metal on top transfers enough heat to the lower metal to turn it molten they will weld. This is easier if the thinner metal is on top. You will have to play with the time allowed between when you see the molten puddle and when you get a good spot weld. This is done just like a normal weld not through contact of the tungsten.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

I'm not sure where, but I'm pretty sure I've seen a video of that done, exactly like Poland is describing. You leave the tungsten slightly recessed in the cup, put the cup down flat on the steel and give it full pedal for a few seconds. I believe the video I saw was on aluminum. Tho I can't see why it wouldn't work on steel.

Like Poland said, the tungsten should not touch the metal, ever. And yes its works only when the top piece is fairly thin

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

I've done tack welding by just burning through the sheet?

Opens a hole, but you can close it back up, it's a bit more work but at least it's a realer weld than those crap spot welds I end up fixing on everything I see.
if there's a welder, there's a way
ESENTI
    Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:36 am

Drooping machine is a constant current machine like tig , something very useful, so it can be used but it is a risk to burn it.
If it was cheaper i would have tried.{Drooping Type (Constant Current): Drooping V-I characteristics is used on constant current type welding machine. When arc is struck in arc welding machine (GMAW Welding Machine) electrode is essentially in short-circuit which would immediately required a sudden of current otherwise machine is design to prevent this.}