General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Josh MacD
    Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:57 am

I've done a thorough search of the backlog and found that the Lincoln 3350 is a pretty solid helmet and not a bad price point. I do see some members talking about some comparable 'knock-offs" but I don't see any specific names.

Also, facebook Big Brother saw my searching and sent me an add for an eastwood helmet for $120. Any thoughts?

Any other great helmets that won't break the bank or my marriage?
Hobbyist MIG welder with 75/25 gas on a Lincoln SP-140 in my garage/workshop/gym/storage space. Very new and still learning.

"Service is the rent you pay for room on this earth" - Shirley Chisholm
cwby
    Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:07 pm

I bought an ESAB Savage A40 from cyberweld @ $89.00. I like it & the view is pretty good for the price. I also have a miller digital elite, the ESAb gets used more.

https://store.cyberweld.com/esab-savage ... gJnO_D_BwE
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

I love my viking 3350. Definitely the most reliable I've used and provides the clearest picture of the puddle out of the 5 or so helmets I've owned over the years. Also can see a lot of colors with it that you just can't see with other helmets, and that really helps with anticipating what the arc is doing and to get an early warning if things might be about to go south. Only complaint is that it is a tiny but heavy for my liking, but I've gotten used to that.

Got mine maybe a year or so ago, and only paid $190 for it I think which is super reasonable, IMO. Baker's gas had them on sale, and Lincoln was offering a $50 rebate which got it down to the $190.

The 3350 is a good hood and I doubt you'll regret it. There are others of course but without being able to try them the Lincoln is a safe bet. I like the Miller's X mode for TIG welding which is what I do most of the time.
Richard
Website
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

I have a 3350 and find that a just right angle towards a light will trigger the auto darkening and have to look away for a second to get back to where I can see ... old eyes cause this. I haven't tried auto dark with X mode like Richards, but sure would like to.
Spartan

BillE.Dee wrote:I have a 3350 and find that a just right angle towards a light will trigger the auto darkening and have to look away for a second to get back to where I can see ... old eyes cause this. I haven't tried auto dark with X mode like Richards, but sure would like to.
I don't think I've ever had that happen with my 3350, and I always keep the sensitivity on the highest setting. I only have fluorescent and LED lights in my shop, though. Are you using any incandescent lights, or other lights that may be putting out a lot of either UV or IR light?

Edit: Come to think of it, I believe it is only IR light that triggers the helmets, and UV surprisingly has nothing to do with it. I had tested that awhile back with both UV and IR flashlights (I use them for hunting), and it was only the IR which triggered the auto-darkening.
BillE.Dee

sometimes I have an incandescent light on to brighten up the shop. Also, when I'm working with a door open and working towards the open door ... zip ... the helmet will darken until I turn away. Just some things I have to get used to. Otherwise a good helmet.
Spartan

BillE.Dee wrote:sometimes I have an incandescent light on to brighten up the shop. Also, when I'm working with a door open and working towards the open door ... zip ... the helmet will darken until I turn away. Just some things I have to get used to. Otherwise a good helmet.
Just asking in case you hadn't already done it: Have you tried adjusting the sensitivity knob on the inside of the helmet?
VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

I'm surprised that Miller doesn't offer a wireless helmet, to go with the wireless foot pedal. They could even make it auto adjusting to the current flow.
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!
Spartan

VA-Sawyer wrote:I'm surprised that Miller doesn't offer a wireless helmet, to go with the wireless foot pedal. They could even make it auto adjusting to the current flow.
Optrel has some hoods that have an "auto-pilot" mode to automatically adjust shades based on current. Of course, it is in no way connected to the machine, and presumably just changes shade based on observed "brightness" thresholds. I would probably disable it pretty quickly and just set the shades myself, but who knows...it may be great.

Also recently saw that Lincoln is now offering wireless foot pedals.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Auto-Pilot is great for TIG w/foot pedal, where it is typical to ramp-up and ramp-down manually. It keeps the arc brightness constant, as your eyes see it. For MIG/Stick welding, it's not too useful, unless you are using a hand amptrol where you are actually changing the welding current on-the-fly.
VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

All of the AutoDark helmets expose your eyes to a very short time of arc flash. They react to the bright light, and then dim. A thousand brief arc flashes during a day of welding, has to have some adverse effect on your eyes.
A wireless connected helmet could do the opposite. It could actually darken a very short time BEFORE the arc is started. No false triggers, no short flashes, add in the auto adjust, it has to lead to a more comfortable work session.
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!
BillE.Dee

Just asking in case you hadn't already done it: Have you tried adjusting the sensitivity knob on the inside of the helmet?[/quote]

I've tried moving sensitivity .. I am learning .. just "sometimes" my mind gets focused on the project instead of the surroundings. Also, changing some light fixtures.
Don't get old and take care of what ya got... says the old fart who got lax.
gramps.