General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

What in the world are y'all getting into with these filters, etc?....

snake oil, Spartan. I'm trying to get my darned old eyes to see what the sam hill I'm lookin at.
I took a road trip to see buggy and he got me started on a stack of colored lenses.... :idea:
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

BillE.Dee wrote:What in the world are y'all getting into with these filters, etc?....

snake oil, Spartan. I'm trying to get my darned old eyes to see what the sam hill I'm lookin at.
I took a road trip to see buggy and he got me started on a stack of colored lenses.... :idea:
Bill, my vision is about as good as it can get for a person at my age. But like all folks who get older, close up vision suffers. Hence, the reading glasses, cheater lenses in a helmet, etc. Maybe for some of these guys who are younger or don't use readers, these are not a big help. Idk. I have a 150 cheater in each of my helmets, and that's enough for me. Generally, I don't require glasses to read unless print is really small or lighting is terrible. When I was younger, my vision was all but supernatural. I'm happy for the guys who can see through a cloudy lens and still see well enough to weld, I can't. Oh, if forced, I can do ok with a lesser sight picture, but I prefer not to.

LTBadd got the filter and I'd be willing to purchase the #6 shade to go along with it and send it to him just to see if that isn't the key, vs using an existing LCD helmet. It's such a night and day difference for me, I'm wondering about using them in an auto-dark helmet. The literature on them says that works fine which is what I was going by when I suggested it. Perhaps that's snake-oil salesmanship on the part of P.S. and you really need the optical glass shade to get the clear image.

I have the filter behind the shade as recommended. That makes sense since it's acrylic and probably should not take the unshaded light at full power all the time. As you saw in my helmet, the arc is not nearly as bright as in my other helmet, the surroundings are much brighter, giving you a better picture of where you are. And the clarity is superior to looking through any lcd fluid I have ever seen. It would be nice if folks could try them out before buying to make sure they'll work for them. (or that they need it to begin with). If this other site really does sell them for 1/5th the price, wonderful. Maybe I'll try another one sometime.

I'd really just like to find a blank helmet with the 2x4 opening and quality headgear, so I could use the extra lens I already bought. But I've not found a decent 2x4 helmet anywhere. I like my Lincoln, but that's only 4x5. The only other one I have is the one on the shelf I showed you, with the super heavy mask and garbage headgear. It's like standard cab pickups... They've been outmoded by a less useful, lower quality, higher priced option, and everyone just loves em. :lol:
BillE.Dee

seems that we all get spoiled with technology. Finish the weld and wait for the lens to turn off so we can see. I put the lens into an old jackson helmet I have and finish the weld and stand there waiting for the lens to turn off --- wait , wait, wait --- CRAP, got he passive hood on. Going to make a movie of my waiting... :roll:

If I have an old hood, with a small opening, I'll come out.
Stay safe ... EVERYONE. The REAL AMERICA IS COMING.
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

BugHunter wrote: Bill, my vision is about as good as it can get for a person at my age. ...................................................................

I'd really just like to find a blank helmet with the 2x4 opening and quality headgear, so I could use the extra lens I already bought. But I've not found a decent 2x4 helmet anywhere. I like my Lincoln, but that's only 4x5. The only other one I have is the one on the shelf I showed you, with the super heavy mask and garbage headgear. It's like standard cab pickups... They've been outmoded by a less useful, lower quality, higher priced option, and everyone just loves em. :lol:
Are these Huntsman flip fronts still an OK lid in your opinion, or ............ ? I used to like them.

https://www.jacksonsafety.com/product-p ... ing-helmet

I thought they had been discontinued, as they haven't been available in EUrostan for some time.
BugHunter

I don't know how much they have changed recently but in my experience ( and I have one) the balance of the shell is horrible. The headgear is worse. They talk about them being lightweight but I'm not sure how true that is.

I would need to have the ability to install my cheater lens and at least one filter with a shade lens and protective covers. Mine doesn't even come close. My Lincoln helmet with the 4 X 5 lens does all that. They gave you a room for all sorts of lenses and an adjustable slide slot for the cheater. How that isn't standard in every helmet is beyond me.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

It#'s funny - I weld with an autodark years back & have had several in various makes & they seemed like the answer at the time but recently got so fed up with them taking odd sized hard to get expensive covers running low on battery when all the shops are shut - flashing anytime I'm out near machinery with beacon lights etc etc & no matter what shade they're set to I can't see that well ( approaching 60 years old & 1 eye is real bad ) I got a passive gold filter - took forever to find a hood to fit it in as passives are almost extinct here & the gold is only available in metric size ! but what a difference - I could see everything like I have'nt seen in years - not sure if it's my eyes but I would not use an autodark of choice anymore having tried the gold - it almost feels like I got seduced by " the dark side " !
BugHunter

Noddy,

When I was younger my vision was exemplary. Still, it's pretty darn good truth be told. Way better'n most people. And still I question how people can see with those things. Maybe back then I could have seen so much better that a cloudy lens wouldn't be a handicap. But now, no way. In a pinch, I even use the pipeliner I have here in spite of the headgear barely holding it on my head. The gold lens in it is awesome. :D
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I kinda want to say I'm glad it's not just me that struggles with seeing clearly but in truth I'd be happier if everyone had awesome eyesight & could weld with sub par clarity masks - it's funny - when I was learning to weld as a lad I made fum of " old timers " that were probably about the age I am now with trying to get the right distance for their glasses & often loosing where the weld joint was - but now I realize how we don't appreciate things like our eyesight or general health till it's gone - to anyone that's not tried the gold lens I would highly recommend them - especially if welding outdoors they don't seem to suffer with reflected or backlight like the autodarks do - for those blessed with good eyesight do everything possible to look after it - I wish I had taken more care when younger.
BugHunter

I'll reply with all the other stuff I wanted to say later, but for now I will just say, youth is wasted on the young. :D
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

BugHunter wrote:I'll reply with all the other stuff I wanted to say later, but for now I will just say, youth is wasted on the young. :D
Damn, you guys are some old decrepit turds, I didn't realize who I was associating with... :lol: j/k
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
BillE.Dee

where the hell is that kid at 61 years of age? You kids are doing ok. I'm the guy that invented dirt. Been shot at and hit and run over twice. Got more steel in my face than most welding carts sold by horrible freight. can't wait to see how gorgeous I am when I get my new lookers.
y'all stay safe.
gramps.
kiwi2wheels

BugHunter wrote:I don't know how much they have changed recently but in my experience ( and I have one) the balance of the shell is horrible. The headgear is worse. They talk about them being lightweight but I'm not sure how true that is.

I would need to have the ability to install my cheater lens and at least one filter with a shade lens and protective covers. Mine doesn't even come close. My Lincoln helmet with the 4 X 5 lens does all that. They gave you a room for all sorts of lenses and an adjustable slide slot for the cheater. How that isn't standard in every helmet is beyond me.
Thanks for your reply. I was looking at the helmet I've had for while and it looks like you could fit a stack of around .320" in the fixed window alone, the flip window about the same. I eventually found this, it looks an identical piece in all respects, also with the polypropylene shell.

https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-53847A-Ind ... lp_pl_dp_2

I narrowed the sides and cut the bottom return back, then velcro'd on a leather bib, weight is about 12 oz +/-.
BugHunter

What are your thoughts on the headgear of that hood?
kiwi2wheels

BugHunter wrote:What are your thoughts on the headgear of that hood?
Trick question! Peoples opinions on various headgears vary.....................but for me, it's been OK.

I stopped the headband knob backing off by putting a blob of contact adhesive on the back side of the screw/nut ; not enough length to use a nyloc, at least on mine, and it's a shouldered screw. It's easy to adjust and very comfortable IMO. The light helmet weight helps. I also doubled up on the front sweatband.
BugHunter

kiwi2wheels wrote:
BugHunter wrote:What are your thoughts on the headgear of that hood?
Trick question! Peoples opinions on various headgears vary.....................but for me, it's been OK.

I stopped the headband knob backing off by putting a blob of contact adhesive on the back side of the screw/nut ; not enough length to use a nyloc, at least on mine, and it's a shouldered screw. It's easy to adjust and very comfortable IMO. The light helmet weight helps. I also doubled up on the front sweatband.
For what it cost I'll probably give one a try sometime soon. But if you're not 100% thrilled with the headgear on day one, and already had to mod it to make it work, I'd say it's a D- at best.