General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

I did see an older thread on this but was unactive for a while now.

I just totalled another pair of work boots and im looking for a chance. What do y'all prefer? Have to be safety toe and preferably puncture proof sole. Im looking at Ariat work hogs but they are pretty pricey. Anyone here use those, are they worth the money?

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

Hard to find good work boots. I used to be a Red Wing die hard, and in fact I still have a pair, but they were always just a tad tight, even in EE. Since I have switched over to Thorogood and have to say they are the most comfortable work boots made. They have wide sizes and I can wear them for 8+ hours a day and no sore feet whatsoever, and no 3 month break-in like the Red Wings.

I am a stickler for safety toes. This goes back to when I was learning to blacksmith, my mentor wouldn't let anyone in the smithy without safety toes. The Thorogoods I have are composite safety toe, lighter than steel and I have the Thorogood "Emperor Toe" which is a wider safety toe. The absolute most comfortable work boots with a safety toe on the planet!

The other thing for me is the wedge sole is the most comfortable as well, and I prefer the 6" height, my Red Wings are 8" and it's notably longer to tie them. Those few seconds add up to annoy a guy. :oops:

Thorogoods are not cheap, neither are Red Wings, but you wear these boots most every day and when working around steel you need to consider having safety toes, IMO. My Red Wings are steel toe and not nearly as comfortable, after 8 hours I can't wait to get them off my feet. Not so with the wider, more comfortable Thorogoods. All of our mileage varies.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I’ve been using Thorogood boots for about 10 years now. I love the. Because they last, there comfortable, and US made Union. They also own Keen and Carolina as well as a few other companies now.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I use Wolverine WO4707's. $90 shipped from RuralKing. I use them specifically because they are easily obtainable in the EE width which is a must for me for comfort. Standard width boots are horrible in my case. Comfortable and very durable. My last pair lasted about 3 years, but with limited use of course.

TraditionalToolworks wrote:Hard to find good work boots. I used to be a Red Wing die hard, and in fact I still have a pair, but they were always just a tad tight, even in EE. Since I have switched over to Thorogood and have to say they are the most comfortable work boots made. They have wide sizes and I can wear them for 8+ hours a day and no sore feet whatsoever, and no 3 month break-in like the Red Wings.

I am a stickler for safety toes. This goes back to when I was learning to blacksmith, my mentor wouldn't let anyone in the smithy without safety toes. The Thorogoods I have are composite safety toe, lighter than steel and I have the Thorogood "Emperor Toe" which is a wider safety toe. The absolute most comfortable work boots with a safety toe on the planet!

The other thing for me is the wedge sole is the most comfortable as well, and I prefer the 6" height, my Red Wings are 8" and it's notably longer to tie them. Those few seconds add up to annoy a guy. :oops:

Thorogoods are not cheap, neither are Red Wings, but you wear these boots most every day and when working around steel you need to consider having safety toes, IMO. My Red Wings are steel toe and not nearly as comfortable, after 8 hours I can't wait to get them off my feet. Not so with the wider, more comfortable Thorogoods. All of our mileage varies.
I agree on the safety toe is a must. Espesially a clumsy oaf like me.

For me a good quality workbook is the most comfortable footwear around. Its really noticeable if you spend 8-10 hours on a concrete floor. I'm still a pretty young guy and I still notice a major difference in higher quality insoles. So much less fatigue.

I periodically buy and replace foam insoles and to me it's about the same.
Poland308

I rotate through 3 pairs of boots. Mine get used 5-7 days a week. But I end up replacing liners in at least one of the pairs every 6 months.

Josh
Timberjack
    Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:06 pm

I wear the Redwing Logger boots , extremely heavy but they last about a year for me, would like to find a brand as tough but lighter.

Oscar wrote:I periodically buy and replace foam insoles and to me it's about the same.
Yep, same. I find they help a lot

Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Steel capped Redwing pull ons for when I'm arc'in.
Blue Steel zip ups for when I'm not.
There are cross-over times.
Boots.jpg
Boots.jpg (111.25 KiB) Viewed 2457 times
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'

Waterproof is a big issue for me up here. Pretty much all of em claim to be waterproof but snow has a way of soaking in anyways. Oiling them often helps to repel a lot of moisture ive noticed

Coldman wrote:Steel capped Redwing pull ons for when I'm arc'in.
Blue Steel zip ups for when I'm not.
There are cross-over times.
Boots.jpg
I like the taller boots for "arc'in" like you put it. Often when you're sitting welding underneath something and your pant legs slip up just enough to let a nice toasty chunk of slag down the top of your boots. Good times.

sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

Keeping an eye on these suggestions as while I have a couple pairs already, I'd like a heavier pair that are a bit more comfortable.

Taller boots are definitely a must for me, as I've learned the hard way when molten metal goes down your boot, it stays there. I've never really went with steel toe boots though, I know they're a requirement at some job sites but they haven't been for me. I am however a huge fan of anti puncture soles I've came into contact with nails a LOT in life when tearing things down.

Will see how long these clodhoppers lastImageImageImage

Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Redwing and Timberland (they do make steel-toes) are top favorites of mine for "heavy duty" use. The Timberlands may actually even be the best "value" for the money.

Keen for medium duty use. I sure do like their steel-toe and composite-toe sneaker-style shoes. Much more comfortable if allowed.

Muck brand for anything around higher water or lots of mud.
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

[quote="Oscar"] they are easily obtainable in the EE width

Oscar are those feet or swim fins :lol: :D
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)

I'm not the only one :) they're just so much more comfortable.
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

Oscar wrote:I'm not the only one :) they're just so much more comfortable.
This ^^^^^
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Poland308

Mine are EE as well. Plus I get the box toe safety toe so my pinky doesn’t rub on the safety toe. Also upgrade to the composite toe, boots are much lighter then.

Josh
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

geeze, I could use jaywal's boots for water skis. I got them darn parrot feet but need a reg width to hold my foot together. Been using 8" steel toe logger boots for years for grip and hold me up strength. I will look into the composite toes now.

BillE.Dee wrote:geeze, I could use jaywal's boots for water skis. I got them darn parrot feet but need a reg width to hold my foot together. Been using 8" steel toe logger boots for years for grip and hold me up strength. I will look into the composite toes now.
Being 6' 2" has its perks. Plus size boots ain't one of em.

Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

I never had problems getting boots when I was a 6-2 youngster, but then I grew up...
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
cwby
    Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:07 pm

The BEST boots I have ever had came from West Coast Shoe Company. I wore one pair out in about 4 years, sent them in for rebuild & was able to get 4 more years out of them. They are expensive, but as long as they last & being able to rebuild them for 1/2 price, it figures out as cheap or cheaper than redwings.

Those boots were 16" top highliners - since I was climbing all the time day in day out they worked good. The 2nd pair are nearly 20 years old now - still ride in my climbing gear box, still comfortable & get used 3 or 4 times a year now.

https://builder.wescoboots.com/StockBoo ... hliner_rsv
G-ManBart
    Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:24 am

I have two pair of Redwings that I've been wearing for years. I do find they run narrow...I'm a 10D is most boots, but Redwing I have to get a 10.5 E for some reason. I think they're super comfortable, but everyone's feet will be different.

There are only a couple of us at work that are required to have safety toe footwear, but what we've found is that there's a big difference in how long the imported Redwings last compared to the models made in the U.S.A. One guy always buys the cheapest imported model they have and he has to replace them every year. Another guy buys the mid-level and seems to replace them every other year. A couple of us buy the USA models and every 3-4 of years they tell us to buy a new pair even though the old ones are still in good shape. I have one pair that's 7 years old and another that's 4 years old....still going strong. That reminds me...it looks like I'm due for a new pair :mrgreen:
Miller Syncrowave 250DX TIGRunner
Miller Millermatic 350P
Miller Regency 200 W/22A and Spoolmatic 3
Hobart Champion Elite
Everlast PowerTIG 210EXT
RollOutWelding
    Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:05 pm

I wore red wing loggers for the longest time at 5he quarry but wore go through way too fast so i saved up and got me a pair of Whites. 100% worth it IMO. Nowadays I wear the whites for outdoor jobs and the ariat workhogs for indoor jobs.