General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
JMAuto
    Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:54 pm

Alright gang, I've seen the question posted on the internet in several places so I had to try it.

Here's my situation. I am a true blue American Tradesman who got suckerd by his wife to move to New Zealand. Now I live in the sticks and to get anything good is quite difficult at the best of times when you do get what your after the profit margin goes out the window. Imagine paying $40 for a tub of Anti-spatter dip?

So we have to make do with what we can get. It was time to try something else for an anti-spatter nozzle dip.

I saw Petroleum Jelly mentioned on the web a few times so I tried it.

Yes Vaseline Petroleum Jelly. The kids don't get diaper rash anymore so the remaining tub was employed in the workshop

NO JOKE GUYS THE STUFF WORKS!!!

I made a quick buzz to get the nozzel hot, and dipped it. Then repeated the dip frequently. No spatter problems whatsoever

I would try the PAM trick but they don't have it here.

Just a note for anyone who was curious.

Cheers, Marc~

i have used vaseline before with good results too.
we can get it by the tub where i work. , i just make sure to burn the excess off before i weld anything important.

I am curious about how you like living in New Zealand other than being in the sticks and not being able to get all the conveniences.

thanks,
jody