General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Johnny T
    Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:39 am

I'm a beginner welder working at a shipping container repair firm, that's where I've been receiving my training or what passes for it :D

I've only really started doing a lot of welding the last couple of months, mainly on 2-4mm steel using a mig welder between 16-19 volts.

I have been using an auto darkening helmet provided by the company the settings were set to lowest on sensitivity and delay and the lens set to 9, a magnifying lens was put in as well as I was having trouble keeping my weld going in a straight line from not being able to make out much, which resolved that problem greatly, I'm not sure what magnification the lens is.

The last 6 weeks I'd been experiencing sore itchy eyes and went to the doc who said eye infection but have done two courses of eye drops for it with not much change, the last couple of weeks I've noticed a sudden reduction of eyesight. I allready wear prescription glasses but I could read writing without them at my last eye exam 8 months ago, now i can't (even larger writing) and have noticed a spot of difficulty even with them on.

I've booked in to see an optometrist this week (I'm pretty sure I should have done this sooner :D ) In my mind I'm pretty sure this is connected to the welding and possibly the gas cutting (the visor provided for this doesn't seem to have that much of a tint to it) but I suppose I could be wrong, anyone have any thoughts?
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

hi Johnny. Have you used the auto darks before? You might be suffering from being flashed due to the auto dark not seeing the arc OR not working properly due to improper sensitivity adjustment or not working at all which will cause eye strain without doubt. Also, the use of the "cheater" with prescription lenses will throw off the vision. There are several threads in here about auto dark hoods works and failures.
Making straight beads takes practice...everyone has been there..
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

Do you have an experienced welder in the shop that could check out the helmet and settings to see if it's working properly? Your comment about receiving training "or what passes for it " and being a beginner welder makes me wonder if you received any safety or equipment training or were just given a spot and told to get it done? :o
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Did you experiment with the settings on the helmet to see what works best for you? I doubt this was the first time you ever welde(?). Please elaborate on what exactly you mean by beginning welder. (IOW, your welding history) It won't help your eyes, but maybe for someone else who reads this in the future.
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

If you're saying you were diagnosed with an infection, I'd be more inclined to think you're suffering from exposure to airborne smoke and contaminants rather than being flashed or having your eyes burned by the arc. How is the ventilation in the welding area?
Johnny T

My welding training was a five minute primer and some practice running beads. I decided to watch an instructional video online about mig that looked like it was from the 70s or 80s to give me a better idea of what to do.

Later I had another five minute primer with the company trainer, hes the one who got me the lmag lenses and looked at the settings on my helmet and was fine with them.

I've not really had any health and safety instruction on the gear apart from the video I watched and that didn't cover helmet settings.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Johnny T wrote:My welding training was a five minute primer and some practice running beads. I decided to watch an instructional video online about mig that looked like it was from the 70s or 80s to give me a better idea of what to do.

Later I had another five minute primer with the company trainer, hes the one who got me the lmag lenses and looked at the settings on my helmet and was fine with them.

I've not really had any health and safety instruction on the gear apart from the video I watched and that didn't cover helmet settings.
Why you chose to go ahead in such a "dangerous" profession without more training is beyond me. With the availability of the internet, there is no reason you should not have watched about week straight, non-stop welding videos on YouTube to pick up on safety. Not scolding you, but so hopefully other readers don't go online after the fact when there could potentially be damage to one's health. Had you come here before, you could have gotten pointers. Lots of them. I hope your eyes get better.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Johnny - Welding, especially MIG, creates airborne contaminants from the welding process, gas used, and in your case, the container material possibly. Because you struggle with your vision, I’d suspect you are immersing your eyeline very closely to the welding area. This accentuates your potential for exposure.

You need to get and use a respirator (protect your lungs now) and contemplate safety goggles (not just glasses) to help seal your eyes from the atmosphere while your infection is treated.

You need to be aware lots of shipping containers are exposed to toxic chemicals and welding on the metal can be very hazardous. It may be the containers you weld aren't, but unless you can be assured of that, you need to be very cautious.

There several respirators you can wear below your helmet that have replaceable filters that will be comfortable and effective.
Johnny T

The area is a hangar that's open on one side so the hoists can bring the containers in so there's plenty of ventilation. I do wear a respirator 3m half face on and off I'm the only person that does, although I'm also the only one that wears all the safety gear proscribed.

I'm pretty sure the auto lense has been engaging when I ve been welding .
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

Wondering what kind of coating if any is on the containers, primer, paint or even galvanized and if the areas to be welded are cleaned and prepped at all or just burn thru whatever is there?
Johnny T

Yes they are painted, we do clean the area back to metal where possible although occasionally you get an area that is to hard to reach entirely.
    Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:30 pm

A welding helmet that fails to go dark won't hurt your eyes. The shade is not what protects you. The glass itself protects you whether the helmet goes dark or not. No company would dream of selling helmets that injured people's eyes every time the batteries failed.

Is it possible you are getting reflected UV from behind the mask?
I was socially distant when social distancing wasn't cool.
Johnny T

I'm not sure, I can watch for it next time I weld. I've been avoiding doing any this week by finding other jobs to do instead.
Johnny T

I was playing around with the helmet settings yesterday while I was doing some welding and realized the auto dark was a bit slow off the mark regardless of the sensitivity setting.

I would not have spotted it unless I was looking for what was happening with the settings, I really couldn't say how long it's been like that

Asked the supervisor, apparently the helmets are solar recharged and myself and all the other new guys have just been putting them In our lockers when we're done using them, so far I'm the only one with an issue though.

I've got it sitting in the sun atm, I've also removed the cheater lens to see how that goes.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Sensitivity should be turned up until it almost darkens at ambient light. Then I’d turn the delay to half way. Just to start.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Johnny T

Saw the optometrist she diagnosed allergic reaction and prescribed anti histamine eye drops and advised to use lubricating eye drops also, apparently it's common in very dry dusty conditions which describes work perfectly, I did mention I'd started welding about the same time as the problems started but she fobbed that off with "You have safety gear so no worries"

So far I've been using the auto dark from work with shade at 10-11 and sensitivity at 6 delay 2, I even took out the cheater lens and I can get on without that ( guess i only needed to learn how to weld straight lines) I've been leaving it out in the sun to charge.

It is the welding though I'm pretty sure (even with the dumping stuff into my eyes they aren't much better) after I did some welding yesterday one of my eyes was stinging, immersing my eyeline has been mentioned in this thread so I was wondering if that could be the problem, I think it might be best if I went to the big boss and mentioned my concerns, he allready knew I was having eyesight issues but not that there was a possibility it was connected to welding.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I’d encourage you to turn the sensitivity up a bit higher, and try a shade setting higher too. If you’re wearing goggles, then the atmosphere shouldn’t be the source but the light may well be.

It might also be worth it to purchase your own helmet. Employers will do the best they think is the minimum necessary, but not always the best available. A really good helmet is about $300. A small investment into your eyes 8-)
    Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:30 pm

I totally agree with the helmet suggestion. I thought I was a big spender when I bought a Hobart Hood, but when I upgraded to a Lincoln Viking, the difference was incredible.
I was socially distant when social distancing wasn't cool.
behm23
    Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:19 am

Hey dear,
Between UV radiation and airborne particles, welding can definitely cause damage to your eyes, but only if you don’t follow the proper safety procedures. Since 25% of all welding damages are eye-related, proper eye protection in the workplace is critical.

In the worst situation, you might experience cataracts as a result of irreversible retinal damage. Eye problems from welding are far more prevalent than severe and permanent issues, but safety is important so you need to ensure to protect yourself when you’re working.
Since you've poor eyesight your optometrist might have recommended doing LASIK.

Opting for LASIK will make life easier for a welder and don't need to worry about wearing glasses or contacts.

How do you feel now? Did you undergo any treatments?

I hope you are safe during this pandemic period.

Thanks!