General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
camaro00440

i have gas that i use with my mig welder, ( 25/75 ) and i just got a tig welder and new to it, is there a gas that you can use for both mig and tig welding? or do you HAVE to use all argon? i would like to avoid having to buy another bottle ! thanks, Mark
brian
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:11 pm

Your probably gonna want a bottle of 100% argon also. 75%/25% won't work with TIG. You can MIG with 100% argon, but its not as good as 75%/25%.
camaro00440

thanks for the info, i've been told by a couple of people now that same thing, thanks
jtybt
    Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:44 am

Hmmm! I have a MIG set up for SS but want to run it from the same bottle as the TIG. Will I have problems with the 100% argon and MIG?
Charlie
brian
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:11 pm

Charlie, Im not sure how 100% Argon will work with Stainless hardwire because I have never tried it. I do know that the two most common around here, "Florida" are 98% Argon 2% CO2 and 90% Helium 7.5% Argon 2.5% CO2. Not sure what the CO2 does to help, but I know that more than 5% of it will hurt it. The stainless could pick up too much Carbon in its liquified state. 100% Argon might work, I have never seen or heard of anyone using it though.