General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
racerman
    Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:36 pm

Hey, I'm trying to get into the boilermakers local but I have a misdemeanor Drug charge and i was wondering how that would effect my work, or if it would even prevent me 100% from getting into the union.

- Hey guys I've made mistakes but im trying to make something of my life now, trust me when i tell i tell you I can be one of the best you've ever had.
Lou 452
    Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:56 pm

The drug charge will make it hard for you. That said the more time you have between you and the mistake the better off you will be. You do not have to just sit and wait you need to be better than the next man that wants to join. Take some night school classes college math is one of the best ways to get an advantage. Get or stay in shape. So many young and older men are just to out of shape to do hard labor. If you are fit smart and have some education when the economy picks up you will be ready. Keep at it if this is what you want to do. It may take years to get in and then finish the boilermakers school. Then you will work hard in Hot /cold/wet/dirty environments for many years and spend sometime on the road and sometime without work. Is this what you want? You will not weld everyday, shop welders weld every day all day not boilermakers. It is not free money but it is good pay. Try to find any welding job for now and hold it. Build a solid work record so many workers can not make it 5 days a week for 40 so how could they hope to work 6-7 days a week for 10 hours a day? The last thing you need to ask is can you treat the man next to you like a brother when he is acting like a child? Unions are not perfect but they are one of the last good things left for the working man. I wish you well