General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
XY solid
    Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:58 pm

Hi Guys, This is my first post... I have been welding for about 5 years now and really enjoy it. I use it around the property for projects ranging from repairing the motor mounts on my son's ATV to zapping up some square tube frames for the doors on my custom shed to yard art and sculptures. I in no way claim to be a professional but I am decent, I can make a stack of dimes with my MIG or TIG and weld upside down.
My problem is when I use my cheap-o Primeweld 225X I get flashed at anything lower than 50amps which is what I use for thinner sheet metals. I have a Digital infinity helmet, I've replaced the battery and charged it completely via solar. Do you think the problem is the welder, the helmet or me? Any advice?

Thanks ahead of time...
DLF
  • DLF
    Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:58 am

The dig infinity does not have rechargeable batteries. The lithium coin cells power the hood and during welding the solar cells power the hood so the battery life is extended.

But getting flashed at 50 amps does not seem right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

Are the arc sensors clean? I had a brand new helmet ( different make) do that well over 50 amp. Returned for exchange and the new one worked perfect. Defective somehow.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

adjust the sensitivity to suit.
tweak it until it breaks
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

tweake wrote:adjust the sensitivity to suit.
Exactly! Your issue has nothing to do with your machine, but everything to do with the settings on your helmet. Sensitivity should be around 6-7 for controlled light environments (inside a shop while at a bench for instance) and probably higher for outdoor use. When outside, you should also set it to X Mode, not Weld mode.

You can set Weld mode, then hold the - button and the helmet will begin counting down and finally set a Shade, Delay, Sensitivity formula. You can then manually adjust those to tweak your comfort (more sensitivity, less shade, etc).