General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:30 pm

I have tried to get decent welding lights for years, and as technology has moved forward, I have gotten closer and closer to getting what I want.

For a few years, I've been using a gooseneck LED lamp with a magnetic base. It's pretty good, but it's a pain to move it around because of the cord, it's not as bright as I would like, and you can't put a bright light on a small area.

I just picked up something way better. A grill light. This thing has a magnetic base that holds three AA batteries or a rechargeable with an adapter. It has a neck around a foot and a half long. It has an adjustment that lets you concentrate all the light on a very small area. No more wrestling with a cord.

Has anyone else here tried one? It looks like engineering has finally produced the perfect small welding light.
02 14 21 new magnetic welding light small.jpg
02 14 21 new magnetic welding light small.jpg (66.43 KiB) Viewed 1956 times
I was socially distant when social distancing wasn't cool.

Looks like a good solution, how about a link to this?
Richard
Website
eelman308
    Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:34 pm

I like it!
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

gawwwwly, chips. thanks for the suggestion. Who'd a thunk it,,,working and eating can come together like that. I did a quick search and didn't realize there were so many types available.

I don't know if this is the best deal or even the best light, but here is a link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L6 ... UTF8&psc=1

I find that technology gets way ahead of me. My old light still seems high-tech to me. If I hadn't Googled around, I would never have known about this new one.

I haven't looked into getting an adaptor for a rechargeable battery yet, but I am told it can be done.

EDIT: a guy posting on Amazon says a 18650 battery will fit if you wrap it in something to fill the extra space. I already have a bunch of 18650's for flashlights, and I have a smart charger that costs about $50.

Okay, it gets even better. Here is a link to some battery adaptors.

https://www.amazon.com/LampVPath-Protec ... ics&sr=1-2
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Just don't get it too close to MIG or stick welding or you'll pit the light real fast.

I started using it, and it's fantastic. It sticks to the table well, and if you have a project that stands up, you can attach the light to the project itself when welding joints higher up.
VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

I saw a youtube video today, where the guy mounted a headlamp on his helmet with velcro. Looks like a good idea. One of his commentators suggested putting velcro mounts on the sides of the helmet as well. Allows lighting for more awkward positions.
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

VA-Sawyer wrote:I saw a youtube video today, where the guy mounted a headlamp on his helmet with velcro. Looks like a good idea. One of his commentators suggested putting velcro mounts on the sides of the helmet as well. Allows lighting for more awkward positions.
I have a "headlight" that's rechargeable I use for working in dark places. It's got an elastic band and an integrated battery. It's super bright. Charges via USB port and runs for ev or... Batteries last a long time when not in use as well. It's at home. If I remember I'll post up a pic of that and the box.

I saw that video, but that guy can't concentrate 200 lumens on an area the size of a quarter.
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

Chips O'Toole wrote:I saw that video, but that guy can't concentrate 200 lumens on an area the size of a quarter.
If that didn't look like it worked well, then I'll say my headlamp works a lot better than that. But, clearly my memory doesn't because I didn't remember to get it out and post pics. :lol: