General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
electricdjinn
    Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:26 am

I started out with a hobbyist welding class, then I made a bunch of simple rectangular platforms to hang in the trees (supporting up to 15 people, including the idiots who read the "no jumping" sign and decided to see what happened - the tree anchors slid down a few inches and tightened, no platform issues because I overbought.

Now I'm thinking of getting a welder to have around for general projects, starting with something like a go kart (3 wheels so I don't have to do DMV to take it around town, and it will likely go to burning man). Mostly steel welding, mostly MIG, but I'd like to explore. I was thinking something like the https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OGW47Q6/

I've used Hobart and Miller, I don't mind setting my own power and speed. Aluminum is a maybe-in-situations thing, but not a huge concern.

I want dual voltage so I can run it off a genny for light work, I have a pair of 3400W Champions. I could probably live with the Hobart 210mp and save some $, but why not be able to do some TIG?

Most importantly: what will I need in addition to that Amazon SKU? Gloves, helmet, cylinder, welding pliers, maybe a leather smock (but TBH I usually just do a cotton long sleeve shirt)... what else do I need to get up and running? I've been welding in a makerspace, so I might be blind to a bunch of minor stuff.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

That's a nice welder, but if you are going to run it off a generator, I doubt that your 3400 watt champions will get it done. You are really going to need a 240 volt genny to any serious work. If you run gasless flux core, then the only other equipment you will need is a welding helmet, gloves, respirator, safety glasses, MIG pliers, wire brush, fire extinguisher and an angle grinder (for prep and clean up). And of course the wire. Something like Lincoln NR-211MP. If you want to go with hard wire instead of flux core, you could go with either C25 gas or 100% CO2. 100% CO2 is MUCH cheaper.

To me, more important than the TIG feature is the stick welding feature. TIG on this unit is DC TIG only and will not be suitable for welding aluminum, just steels and other ferrous metals.
Multimatic 255