General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Jack Ryan
    Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:20 pm

Hi all,

New member with (possibly) a new question. What are these connectors called and what are they most often used for?

They are apparently used by Kemppi, UNIMIG, Bossweld & BOC.

Arm waving doesn't work very well in the shop - the correct name would help.

Thanks
Jack
Attachments
Argon Quick Connect.jpg
Argon Quick Connect.jpg (106.77 KiB) Viewed 1075 times
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Actually, they are called "Quick Connects" by a major manufacturer here.

http://westernenterprises.com/enterpris ... k-connect/
Jack Ryan

cj737 wrote: Actually, they are called "Quick Connects" by a major manufacturer here.

http://westernenterprises.com/enterpris ... k-connect/
Thanks for that but is that the "department" or the name of that specific connector type? Also, I didn't see this connector pictured in the list but I have to admit that the images were not very good.

I bought some from a BOC store here (Australia) and they were listed on the invoice as:

Part Number: R-40-160910-12-00
Description: QR GAS CONNECTOR

That seems pretty generic. Swagelok, in its "Quick Connects" section, lists several quick connectors but not this one.

Most connectors seem to have a name or are called after their manufacturer (eg Nitto). This one seems to be unnamed - except for a part number - and that only applies at a BOC store.

Regards
Jack
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Quick connect is the name. There are further designations or variations that will be the model number. There different model numbers will designate line size and actual small differences in fitting lengths and connectors. These differences keep you from interconnecting or cross connecting lines. For example you would have 2 different models of quick connects on an oxy acetylene setup. This would keep you from hooking your oxy supply up to the acetylene line.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Jack Ryan

Poland308 wrote:Quick connect is the name. There are further designations or variations that will be the model number. There different model numbers will designate line size and actual small differences in fitting lengths and connectors. These differences keep you from interconnecting or cross connecting lines. For example you would have 2 different models of quick connects on an oxy acetylene setup. This would keep you from hooking your oxy supply up to the acetylene line.
Thanks. Yes, I realise there are different types and that they are all quick connectors.

I visited several shops, in person and on line, looking for this particular connector. They did not have what I wanted and I could not order one because I didn't have a name for the connector. I returned with a sample and (except for BOC) they did not recognise it and could not find it in a paper catalogue. They could not search on line for it without a name.

This is the only connector I have come across that I have to keep pictures of as I have no other way of identifying it.

So, I learned something new - there are un-named connectors.

Thanks guys.

Jack
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

They use quick connects in medical gas, they only call them quick connects but name the different sizes by gas type. Oxygen is one size, nitrogen another. I spent a month searching the web before I finally found the actual spec drawings for the fittings.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
G-ManBart
    Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:24 am

Amazon sells them so they can't be too much of a secret....right?

https://www.amazon.com/Welding-Water-Qu ... B011LJL4QM
Miller Syncrowave 250DX TIGRunner
Miller Millermatic 350P
Miller Regency 200 W/22A and Spoolmatic 3
Hobart Champion Elite
Everlast PowerTIG 210EXT
Jack Ryan

Poland308 wrote:They use quick connects in medical gas, they only call them quick connects but name the different sizes by gas type. Oxygen is one size, nitrogen another. I spent a month searching the web before I finally found the actual spec drawings for the fittings.
Thanks Josh. Perhaps this one should be called an argon quick connector. It is used on MIG and TIG (that I know of) so argon and argon mix - and perhaps CO2. Perhaps shielding gas quick connector would be better.

At least I know where to get them now.

Thanks again.

Regards
Jack
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Strange, I've always called them "quick disconnects". Guess it just depends on which side of the operation you want done quickly :lol:
Jack Ryan

G-ManBart wrote:Amazon sells them so they can't be too much of a secret....right?

https://www.amazon.com/Welding-Water-Qu ... B011LJL4QM
They are not a secret, just nameless.

Those look like the Chinese version available on Wish and others.

Jack
Jack Ryan

Spartan wrote:Strange, I've always called them "quick disconnects". Guess it just depends on which side of the operation you want done quickly :lol:
Good point - and even quicker if you don't turn the gas off first!

Jack
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Spartan wrote:Strange, I've always called them "quick disconnects". Guess it just depends on which side of the operation you want done quickly :lol:
I use the same name. I use those for coolant as well. Work great.