General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Handman
    Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:59 am

So basically I have been a stay at home dad for the last 3 years, I haven't picked up so much as a single electrode in a little over 4 years. Also I was recently injured in a bizarre medical screw up and now I can't lift my left arm more than about 40 degrees laterally, meaning just about anything involving my left arm is a major strain or just simply impossible. I can lift my arm straight in front of me but any movements to the side are non existent. My question is this : Would I be able to work where you work or do your job without being able to support my right hand in any position other than flat? I may be able to do some vertical welding too, just depends on the process and the weight of the electrode and stinger + how much lead I need.

Thanks guys. This is a question thats been scratching at my brain for the last 3 months and quite honestly I have no other way to answer it.
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

Are you a hobbyist or did you used to weld professionally? Reason I'm asking is I feel like somebody who was already a skilled welder would have a better time of trying to retrain or work around your issues than someone trying to learn for the first time.

Are you able to tig weld on a bench for example? Based on your explanation it sounds as if you could. And if so there are certain tig jobs where you may be able to work at a bench doing parts. I think that would be your best bet, because while there are certain people who can stick weld one handed and make it look almost perfect, of which I am NOT one of them. Most those jobs involve contorting yourself in weird positions and picking heavy stuff up.

I'd say you almost CERTAINLY could some sort of welding job you could learn to work around your limitations and do. Would you be better off doing something else? I really couldn't say without knowing how much you want to weld.
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

Handman wrote:My question is this : Would I be able to work where you work or do your job without being able to support my right hand in any position other than flat?
No.
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

A good billiards player can win a game using a broom stick and only their teeth. I've seen an archer with only one arm outshoot everyone else on the field.

The skill is in your brain, not in your arms. Adapt and overcome.
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

There are limitations as to what you can get done. I Don't know the strength of your arms and legs, I don't know what type of work you are looking to do. It all depends on your mindset and determination. Where buggy works, I doubt you could get it done. Where Spartan works, there are things you could do, but not everything.
Sorry to hear of your situation, I went thru a bad time and have struggles over 18 years later. There are times that I get so damn frustrated and then are days that I surprise myself.
WE do wish you the best ... pull up your bootstraps and get working on it.
clavius
    Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:32 pm

I am not a professional welder and I have never personally faced the sort of physical challenges you are facing. But I can't help but look around and see the stuff people overcome in one way or another and be amazed. If you want a bit of inspiration related to welding, check out Chris Hrabik:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhCtc6xssXM

and here:

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... ris+Hrabik

This guy broke his neck in a car accident and ended up quadriplegic with no use of his legs and limited use of both arms. He welds on heavy equipment, agricultural machinery, does welded art installations, and races rally cars. I feel like a lazy unaccomplished bum compared to this man. You don't hear about them too often unless you go looking, but there are lots of people out there like this that find a way to rise to the challenge.
COwelder
    Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:57 am

Unfortunately, I have some pretty applicable experience here... I had a bunch of peripheral nerve damage in both arms- paralysis in left wrist and finger extension as well as paralysis of my right shoulder. 0% ability to raise my right shoulder or my left hand/fingers. Happened right as I started my venture into self-employment as a welder. Fortunately all of this is healing but I am still a ways off from 100%.
If you want it, find a way to work around it. I passed 3g/4g stick test with all these issues. I field repair heavy equipment and various TIG repairs- aka a lot of out of position and tight access welding. Find ways to brace or position your body. There is almost always a workaround-especially from the small amount of limitation you describe. use clamps to brace against and to support the weight of leads. Stick and MIG in all positions is easy- use 2 hands or learn to weld with your non-dominant hand. Also, build a strong core and use it to position yourself to your advantage. For overhead TIG I would bend all the way back like I was doing the limbo so I could use my chest muscles to lift my right arm. Sometimes this meant I needed to stand on a stool or ladder for jobs I could normally reach from the ground.
Good luck with whatever you choose to do, but I think you could likely do almost any kind of welding with some determination.