General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
TriggWeld
    Wed May 22, 2019 3:37 am

Hey guys,

I’ve recently been told by my boss that he’s really happy with the quality of my work and that he “can’t fault it”. But he’d like me to try and increase my speed. I work in a jobs shop and can be working on a big range of jobs (mostly farming and earth moving equipment but can be small alloy and stainless Tig jobs as well).

I know it’s a very broad question but what tools or procedures or tips have helped you speed up jobs in the workshop?

Thanks!
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Gantry, rotator, plenty of dogs and lots of grinders (avoids changing discs).
TriggWeld

Thanks man, although I should have said tools that an employee might buy. A gantry’s bit out of my price range but I can definitely by myself another grinder or two!
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Look for ways to standardize your common repairs. IE make jigs or precut pieces that you will be likely to need next time. If you have to do setup work consider making extra parts. Then if you mess one up you don’t have to set up again you just grab the extra one you made.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

TriggWeld wrote:Thanks man, although I should have said tools that an employee might buy. A gantry’s bit out of my price range but I can definitely by myself another grinder or two!
If 3M makes it, use Cubitron-II consumables. You'll be shocked if you're not already using them.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

TriggWeld wrote:Thanks man, although I should have said tools that an employee might buy. A gantry’s bit out of my price range but I can definitely by myself another grinder or two!
why are you buying tools?
workshop tools should be paid by the owner/boss.

just make sure your not being screwed over. seen it before with bosses that expect you to pay for everything to make him rich.
tweak it until it breaks
TriggWeld

Thanks Poland and Oscar, I’ll look into those
TriggWeld

tweake wrote:
why are you buying tools?
workshop tools should be paid by the owner/boss.

just make sure your not being screwed over. seen it before with bosses that expect you to pay for everything to make him rich.
My boss/work place is pretty good, they do provide most of the tools we need, especially the big ticket items. I’m just looking at buying some personal tools that will make me more efficient...and so I don’t have to go searching for where the other guys left the workshop tools :roll:
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

problem is your tools will soon get borrowed and returned well abused.
if there is a shortage of grinders, remind the boss that he should be buying some more so you don't have to waste time sharing them.

big part of production work is having things organised. have tools setup in the right locations.
everyone has their own set so they are not borrowing tools or having to go find tools.
i'm in farming. i have my tools laid out and i have 3 identical tools, one for each position so i don't have to go find one, or carry one. there is one for each station and one for each use. if a machine jams/malfunctions the repair tool is on the machine. no time wasted going and finding tools.

it like migs, set each one up for its normal task. no mucking around changing wire sizes or types.
tweak it until it breaks
TriggWeld

Haha unfortunately that does happen at work! One of the other guys at work has a very nice set of tools that I refuse to borrow because it grinds my gears when people borrow my stuff but everyone else loves his tools!

I feel like the layout of the workshop leaves a lot to be desired but I’ve only been at this place for 12 months so I still kind of feel like one of the new guys and the workshop has been set up this way for years. I’d like to mention some improvements but I think I’d get a fair push back from my manager (not the boss) as he doesn’t like people under him having good ideas