General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Timberjack
    Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:06 pm

I know some dont like them ,and yes in 50 years of my life i learned to sharpen by hand, BUT , when im out in some farmers field or working on a logskidder in the middle of the woods. i usually dont have a benchgrinder with me. doing it by hand with a angle grinder is getting old. cant get anywhere with the search feature, i know this has be talked about here before, whats the very best one ? and whats the extra parts i need to get , such as extra cbn wheels etc.?
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

The best ones are thousands of dollars. Get one that that will cut the split-point and you should be good.
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

The ones for thousands of dollars will do larger drills but they will not do small drills. Consider what your real needs are and go from there. For me, I really would like a machine to sharpen smaller drills. I have two drill sharpening machines of perverse level pricing for larger drills. I have a mohawk drill sharpener and a Sterling Machine as well. Both are high-dollar machines that sell for thousands of dollars used. Neither one will do a small drill. When I say small I mean smaller than quarter inch. Be realistic about your expectations when you buy. It is very easy to hand sharpen a inch and a half drill. Not so much on a 1/16 inch drill. Yes I know, you can buy those for not very much money and there is no need to sharpen them. I would almost recommend that you get good at sharpening drills by hand, which is not a very difficult skill. And for just forget about using a machine to sharpen them when the only ones you really need to work with are the easy ones to sharpen by hand.
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

I use a Drill Doctor to sharpen my smaller bits. I think it's the higher end model that they sell. It works ok. Nothing spectacular, but it has saved me a ton of money for sure, and it is quite easy to use. Only problem is that on occasion it will give me a wonky grind...probably operator error, but I've never been able to figure out why. 9 out of 10 bits come out good, though.
Timberjack
    Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:06 pm

Well, got mine in yesterday, put it in the truck and today give it a work out , sure was nice to have with me ,two miles in a Kentucky hollow, under a dozer, drilling out bolts, and dulling bits wasn't as bad today. i would recommend it, its a nice tool when you dont have anything else but a handgrinder. lol
77cruiser
    Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:27 am

I'm glad some like em I've had 2 & both of them sucked IMO. This works good at home, if you can find one.
https://www.travers.com/91000-drill-gri ... 7-145-001/
Ballistic308
    Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:56 pm

Timberjack wrote:Well, got mine in yesterday, put it in the truck and today give it a work out , sure was nice to have with me ,two miles in a Kentucky hollow, under a dozer, drilling out bolts, and dulling bits wasn't as bad today. i would recommend it, its a nice tool when you dont have anything else but a handgrinder. lol
Which model did you end up with?